+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending visitor visa under 30 days left- urgent help!

CkMaddall

Sep 14, 2012
Hi there

I fear I may have made a rather big bish, so wondering if anyone can advise

I am a uk citizen staying in Canada as a visitor while my common law pr application is processed. I was under the impression that I just needed to apply before my passport stamp date, but have since seen that one should apply 30 days before this date. I have two questions:

1) is it possible to apply with less than 30 days? Is there any chance that my application will be processed and what should I do if I have had not had a response close to the stamp date?

2) if I am unable to get an extension, can I pop across the boarder to the states and then back to get a new stamp? If so, do I have to stay for a few days, or can I just get a new stamp? (I am staying in Winnipeg so only an hour from the boarder)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I feel rather sick!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
CkMaddall said:
1) is it possible to apply with less than 30 days? Is there any chance that my application will be processed and what should I do if I have had not had a response close to the stamp date?

2) if I am unable to get an extension, can I pop across the boarder to the states and then back to get a new stamp? If so, do I have to stay for a few days, or can I just get a new stamp? (I am staying in Winnipeg so only an hour from the boarder)
Hi

Though they recommend 30 days, you are allowed to apply for an extension up to the day before your status expires. You will get Implied Status, allowing you to stay in Canada after your status expires until you get a decision from CIC on the extension. When you submit the extension, ask for enough time to cover the rest of the PR app processing so you won't have to extend again. Include proof of the PR app and proof of funds showing you can support your extended stay; that can be bank statements showing savings or your partner's payslips.