+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending visitor visa for common law?

chiefeile

Feb 23, 2015
Hi everyone,

So my partner and I are going to apply for common law next year once the 12 months are up. I just have a ? or two. She needs to extend her visitor's visa. Is it easier to apply online or just do a border run? I have filled out the form and had it validated but the CIC website isn't allowing me to upload it. I can upload everything else bar the actual application form.
Has anyone had issues with this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone,

So my partner and I are going to apply for common law next year once the 12 months are up. I just have a ? or two. She needs to extend her visitor's visa. Is it easier to apply online or just do a border run? I have filled out the form and had it validated but the CIC website isn't allowing me to upload it. I can upload everything else bar the actual application form.
Has anyone had issues with this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
Border runs are risky. CBSA doesn't like people living in Canada as visitors. Apply online.

chiefeile

Feb 23, 2015
Border runs are risky. CBSA doesn't like people living in Canada as visitors. Apply online.
Ok! Thanks for the reply. We applied online. I sent a supporting letter vouching for her and our relationship. I sent proof of my work and income to show I can afford to do so and she supplied her bank balance. We also have a shared bank account. I hope this is enough. We applied on August 27th and haven’t heard back yet.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yes, we’re applying for common law. We should hear something soon. I’ve checked the processing times and there should be working on the extension as we speak.
I have no idea what times you are looking at but IRCC is working on visitor extension apps from May right now. Don't expect to hear anything until the end of the year.

Reactions: chiefeile

chiefeile

Feb 23, 2015
I have no idea what times you are looking at but IRCC is working on visitor extension apps from May right now. Don't expect to hear anything until the end of the year.
Oh, it says they are working on applications received on August 31st. We applied for the extension from within Canada on August 27th.

From the drop down menu I select

Temporary residence (visiting, studying)
Visitor visa (from inside Canada)

Processing time for online applications 7days. Working on applications received on August 31st 2019.

chiefeile

Feb 23, 2015
Looks like we might have made a huge mistake here. I think we applied for an extension, not a visitor record. What will happen now?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Looks like we might have made a huge mistake here. I think we applied for an extension, not a visitor record. What will happen now?
A visitor extension = a Visitor Record. What form did you actually submit?

chiefeile

Feb 23, 2015
A visitor extension = a Visitor Record. What form did you actually submit?
I just saw that on the application. Immi5708e. Her status is up on October 26th. So we shouldn't expect to hear anything till at least November if we're lucky. What happens there? Will she have to leave or will she be on implied status? Thanks for the quick responses btw! Much appreciated!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I just saw that on the application. Immi5708e. Her status is up on October 26th. So we shouldn't expect to hear anything till at least November if we're lucky. What happens there? Will she have to leave or will she be on implied status? Thanks for the quick responses btw! Much appreciated!
Correct form. She can remain while she waits for an answer on the extension app.

chiefeile

Feb 23, 2015
Correct form. She can remain while she waits for an answer on the extension app.
Now here’s the kicker. We are supposed to be going home to Ireland for Christmas on dec 23rd. What would happen if we haven’t had a response by then?

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Now here’s the kicker. We are supposed to be going home to Ireland for Christmas on dec 23rd. What would happen if we haven’t had a response by then?
When she leaves, the extension app is void. She will re-enter as a new visitor.

chiefeile

Feb 23, 2015
When she leaves, the extension app is void. She will re-enter as a new visitor.
So that just brings me back to the question I asked at the beginning of this thread.

Or is a border run deemed different that a three week stint out of the country? I’d do the border run with her.

Jnicole45

Jul 28, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-05-2019
AOR Received.
24-07-2019
So that just brings me back to the question I asked at the beginning of this thread.

Or is a border run deemed different that a three week stint out of the country? I’d do the border run with her.
While every entry is assessed as a new entry, they will very likely look at a border run differently because, as Canuck previously stated, they don't like people living in Canada as visitors. The extension is the best way to go, it's a good sign to CBSA that you're doing things the correct way.

Reactions: chiefeile