+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending visitor visa (already here 12 months)

Kelt1967

Mar 2, 2018
Hi Everyone.
I am coming to the end (end of August 2019) of a 12 month extension on a visitors visa (no work/no study) i have shown in that application i can support myself no problem. I have been living with my girlfriend for 18 months that i have known for 2&1/2 years. My question is, what is the likelihood of getting that visitors visa extended by a further year, or would it be better to apply for common-law sponsorship?

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Hi Everyone.
I am coming to the end (end of August 2019) of a 12 month extension on a visitors visa (no work/no study) i have shown in that application i can support myself no problem. I have been living with my girlfriend for 18 months that i have known for 2&1/2 years. My question is, what is the likelihood of getting that visitors visa extended by a further year, or would it be better to apply for common-law sponsorship?
What is your end goal? Do you want to move to Canada and be with your girlfriend and be able to work while you are here? If so then you should apply for common-law sponsorship.

As stated you said you have been living with your girlfriend for 18 months, you are not allowed to live in Canada on a visitor visa you can only visit. No one can say for sure the chances of approval, but if they think you are not a genuine visitor anymore and living here they can deny it. I have read on here people getting multiple extensions, others getting approved....but if you keep on going that route surely one day you will get a denial.
It all depends on what you want to do. If you just want to be here for another 6 months and then leave then do not do common law and take your chances on an extension. If you want to live here then go common law.

EDIT: sorry I only applied outland for my wifes sponsorship, not sure what happens to your common law if your visitor runs out or your extension denied. Something to look into as you may have to file an extension either way. If you have to leave to your home country for any extended period your common law would reset back to 0 unless your gf came with you.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Given that you haven’t applied for sponsorship you should anticipate your visitor extension will be denied sooner or later.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Just recently there was a case here . Couple , she Canadian, him American , living together . Think they were together 1.5 years here, his extension, then restoration got denied . Asked to leave
If a foreign national is going to ask for repeated extensions there’s got to be a reason . Example, living together for 12 months for common law purposes , then inland spousal sponsorship. It’s irrelevant if you can support yourself , visitors don’t usually ask for extension after extension. Immigration will see you’re living here, which you’re not allowed on TRV, and as stated above the welcome mat will be withdrawn

Kelt1967

Mar 2, 2018
Thank you all for your replies.

i have a few further questions.

So, given that my visitors extension runs out on August 27th 2019, if we apply for common-law sponsorship visa now, how long might that take? Also, would i be allowed to remain in Canada past the August date on an implied status?

And, if i applied for a further year visitors visa and was denied, could i then just change my application to sponsorship.

I have house in London UK and would need to tend to a few affairs back home. Would i be able to leave say for a month while whatever visa i applied for was in progress and then return?

Once again, i appreciate all of your replies.

Kelt1967

Mar 2, 2018
Furthermore, i do understand that i can not keep applying for a visitors visa extension. If i applied for a further year, that would only be my second request to obtain a visitors extension. My thoughts were, a second might obtainable, a third would seriously not be on the cards.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Furthermore, i do understand that i can not keep applying for a visitors visa extension. If i applied for a further year, that would only be my second request to obtain a visitors extension. My thoughts were, a second might obtainable, a third would seriously not be on the cards.
You never know. We see both rejections and some approvals.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you all for your replies.

i have a few further questions.

So, given that my visitors extension runs out on August 27th 2019, if we apply for common-law sponsorship visa now, how long might that take? Also, would i be allowed to remain in Canada past the August date on an implied status?

And, if i applied for a further year visitors visa and was denied, could i then just change my application to sponsorship.

I have house in London UK and would need to tend to a few affairs back home. Would i be able to leave say for a month while whatever visa i applied for was in progress and then return?

Once again, i appreciate all of your replies.
It may be difficult to gather all the paperwork and apply by then but yes your chances go up dramatically if you ask for an extension because you have a sponsorship in process. You’d have to include your payment receipt because sponsorship is unlikely to be received by then. If you wanted to apply inland and get an OWP you should extend your visitor status. You aren’t supposed to leave during the process. A short trip is usually overlooked but there is always a risk of not being let back into Canada. If you apply Outland you can spend as much time outside Canada as you want but you risk not being let back into Canada. If you have a UK passport and have the funds to support yourself in your chances are pretty good that you will be let back into Canada.

Kelt1967

Mar 2, 2018
It may be difficult to gather all the paperwork and apply by then but yes your chances go up dramatically if you ask for an extension because you have a sponsorship in process. You’d have to include your payment receipt because sponsorship is unlikely to be received by then. If you wanted to apply inland and get an OWP you should extend your visitor status. You aren’t supposed to leave during the process. A short trip is usually overlooked but there is always a risk of not being let back into Canada. If you apply Outland you can spend as much time outside Canada as you want but you risk not being let back into Canada. If you have a UK passport and have the funds to support yourself in your chances are pretty good that you will be let back into Canada.

Great reply. Thank you.