+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending visitor stay with expiring passport

devcicuser

Jan 11, 2024
Hi all,

My mom came here on super visa on April 23,2022. Her super visa and passport expires on March 4, 2024. She was planning to leave next month, but unfortunately she broke her hip by slipping in ice and got a surgery to fix it. So, I need to extend her stay. Her passport extension is going to take a couple of weeks. So, I have couple of questions around this:

- how long is her original stay authorized for? Is it for 2 years from her entry or upto her passport expiry date?
If it's March 4, which is a better option for applying extension:

- wait for few weeks until we get her extended passport and then apply extension second or third week of February. Is this acceptable since IRCC website mentions that extension should be applied 30 days before expiry of current authorized stay

or

- apply for extension on February first week (before 30 days of March 4) with current passport and with an explanation that passport extension has been applied, and new passport will be submitted as soon it's available. And once the new passport is available, submit it via web form

Thanks.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

My mom came here on super visa on April 23,2022. Her super visa and passport expires on March 4, 2024. She was planning to leave next month, but unfortunately she broke her hip by slipping in ice and got a surgery to fix it. So, I need to extend her stay. Her passport extension is going to take a couple of weeks. So, I have couple of questions around this:

- how long is her original stay authorized for? Is it for 2 years from her entry or upto her passport expiry date?

- wait for few weeks until we get her extended passport and then apply extension second or third week of February. Is this acceptable since IRCC website mentions that extension should be applied 30 days before expiry of current authorized stay

or

- apply for extension on February first week (before 30 days of March 4) with current passport and with an explanation that passport extension has been applied, and new passport will be submitted as soon it's available. And once the new passport is available, submit it via web form

Thanks.
Was there a date stamp in her passport? If no, it's two years:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/parent-grandparent-super-visa/about.html

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,

or

Thanks.
There is no need to apply 30 days before expiry date. As long as she applied before the expiry date she is fine. I would not wait until the last day and give yourself a few days of buffer time in case you run into issues submitting the extension request. I would apply for the extension with a new valid passport if possible. Original stay coincides with expiry of her passport. There is a good chance she will also need to redo a medical so it would be best if she has recovered a bit before doing the medical to limit any concerns and any potential other medical testing requested. Hope she has a fast and uneventful recovery.

devcicuser

Jan 11, 2024
There is no need to apply 30 days before expiry date. As long as she applied before the expiry date she is fine. I would not wait until the last day and give yourself a few days of buffer time in case you run into issues submitting the extension request. I would apply for the extension with a new valid passport if possible. There is a good chance she will also need to redo a medical so it would be best if she has recovered a bit before doing the medical to limit any concerns and any potential other medical testing requested. Hope she has a fast and uneventful recovery.
Thanks.. is there in downside in mentioning this reason (hip fracture and associated recovery) for requesting extension or we can simply request extension with a reason of spending more time with family since her stay is extendable by another two years anyways.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks.. is there in downside in mentioning this reason (hip fracture and associated recovery) for requesting extension or we can simply request extension with a reason of spending more time with family since her stay is extendable by another two years anyways.
The hip fracture will come up via a likely medical, the insurance company will be aware of the break, the government will be able to see how much got billed to her name, etc. If you are upfront about the break then she is more likely to receive a certain amount of time in Canada based on what a doctor recommends. The other big issue is that she will have to reapply for supervisa insurance in April 2024 which is where you potentially could run into issues. Assume the cost of her medical care may have a factor on obtaining supervisa insurance for another year and the cost. Given that it is an accident and not an ongoing medical issue will also have an impact. There isn’t a standard cost for a hip fracture so hopefully it was a simple break and relatively easy repair and short hospital stay.

devcicuser

Jan 11, 2024
The hip fracture will come up via a likely medical, the insurance company will be aware of the break, the government will be able to see how much got billed to her name, etc. If you are upfront about the break then she is more likely to receive a certain amount of time in Canada based on what a doctor recommends. The other big issue is that she will have to reapply for supervisa insurance in April 2024 which is where you potentially could run into issues. Assume the cost of her medical care may have a factor on obtaining supervisa insurance for another year and the cost. Given that it is an accident and not an ongoing medical issue will also have an impact. There isn’t a standard cost for a hip fracture so hopefully it was a simple break and relatively easy repair and short hospital stay.
My mom got one year extension. We requested only for 4 months and attached super visa insurance only for 4 months, but IRCC still gave it for one year extension by themselves. And no issues in getting insurance as well and she got the routine one that everyone gets for routine cost. The only thing is any treatment or complications arising from this hip fracture issue alone won't be covered by the new insurance.

Also, we mentioned about hip fracture in the extension request and plans to spend more time with family while recovering. She passed her medicals without any issues despite mentioning about hip fracture. Doctor who did the medicals mentioned didn't give a damn about the medical details behind fracture. He was just asking how it happened as a courtesy and didn't even touch or look at the fractured hip/leg during physicals.

Her bills are still pending as the insurance claim is under process. So, none of the things that you mentioned as issues were really issues in the end.