+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending visitor stay in Canada

the_illest

Mar 8, 2017
Hi everyone,

I have a question about extending a visitor visor for my partner. My partner is a US citizen and has been staying with me/visiting for the last month or so in Canada. We have applied for outland sponsorship.

The application to extend stay is here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp to extend his stay/

My questions are:
  1. Has anyone on this forum gone through this process and have any tips or insight on how to successfully do this?
  2. What is a reasonable amount of extra time to ask for - could we potentially ask for an extra 6 months?
  3. Especially since he is American he doesn't technically have a "visa" to visit so, is this still the correct process? No "exit by" date is stamped on his passport.
We are in the middle of wedding planning it would be great for him to be here. Also, his job is super flexible and happy to let him continue working remotely from here/abroad, so he would have an income to support himself. No need for a work permit since he is being paid in the US (we double checked this with immigration lawyers and his company's attorneys) and maintains his permanent address there.

Thank you all in advance!

PS - if this post is in the wrong thread/there is a better place to post this, or if it has been posted/responded to elsewhere, let me know :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone,

I have a question about extending a visitor visor for my partner. My partner is a US citizen and has been staying with me/visiting for the last month or so in Canada. We have applied for outland sponsorship.

The application to extend stay is here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp to extend his stay/

My questions are:
  1. Has anyone on this forum gone through this process and have any tips or insight on how to successfully do this?
  2. What is a reasonable amount of extra time to ask for - could we potentially ask for an extra 6 months?
  3. Especially since he is American he doesn't technically have a "visa" to visit so, is this still the correct process? No "exit by" date is stamped on his passport.
We are in the middle of wedding planning it would be great for him to be here. Also, his job is super flexible and happy to let him continue working remotely from here/abroad, so he would have an income to support himself. No need for a work permit since he is being paid in the US (we double checked this with immigration lawyers and his company's attorneys) and maintains his permanent address there.

Thank you all in advance!

PS - if this post is in the wrong thread/there is a better place to post this, or if it has been posted/responded to elsewhere, let me know :)
Hi

If he entered a month ago, you are WAY too early to apply for an extension.

1. Thousands. There are tons of threads about it. Include proof of the PR app and proof of finances.

2. Ask for a year to allow processing of the PR app.

3. Yes, it is the correct app. It has nothing to do with a visa; it is just for extending status.

Reactions: the_illest

the_illest

Mar 8, 2017
Thank you so much @canuck_in_uk! Realizing now that my initial message was not very clear/incorrect typo on my part - I should have said "last few months" since he has actually been here for a bit over 4 months. So, getting close to the 6-month mark.

I have tried to search here for a thread, I had assumed it probably has been discussed ad nauseam! But, I couldn't find one that was helpful. Perhaps I am not looking in the right place. I will keep looking but your response is helpful in letting us know we are on the right track :) Many thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you so much @canuck_in_uk! Realizing now that my initial message was not very clear/incorrect typo on my part - I should have said "last few months" since he has actually been here for a bit over 4 months. So, getting close to the 6-month mark.

I have tried to search here for a thread, I had assumed it probably has been discussed ad nauseam! But, I couldn't find one that was helpful. Perhaps I am not looking in the right place. I will keep looking but your response is helpful in letting us know we are on the right track :) Many thanks!
There really is nothing to it. Fill out the app, include the proofs.