Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2015
AOR Received.
07-15-2015
Does anyone on here have experience applying to extend their visitor status (US citizen) while waiting on approval for their PR through spousal sponsorship?

Any info on how your application differed or what you did to get approved is greatly appreciated!

…specific questions to follow, I'm just looking for any tips/experiences for now.

THANKS!

imapeiceofwood

Jun 20, 2014
I extended twice past year. I was approved every single time.
For a reason I just put (family) and gave same UCI number as i got for sponsoring.
I guess they will know you are going throuhg sponsorhip. Plus of course letter from my husband that he is gonna pay for everything and how much he makes.

cillyx5

Star Member
Oct 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2015
AOR Received.
07-15-2015
Thank you, for taking the time to read and reply. I'm so happy to hear your extension request was approved.

3 follow up questions:
1) How long of an extension did you request?
2) Did you show proof of purchase for a return flight to the USA?
3) For UCI number… I thought the UCI number we got for SA was the sponsor's UCI number, not the applicant.

Have a lovely day.

Anyone else with tips and experience info, please add on. I'm sure there's lots of us in this same situation.

imapeiceofwood

Jun 20, 2014
1.both times for 6 months
2. no, I didnt have return ticket. Just gave date when i was planning to return.
3. I applied for visa extension first and they gave me UCI number. it also said on it to use it for all purposes like applying for PR card so that is what I did.

db80

Star Member
Oct 19, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-10-2014
AOR Received.
01-01-2015 (SA: 06-01-2015)
File Transfer...
21-01-2015 (In Process from 17-08-2015)
Med's Request
15-10-2015 (new med request: 10-06-2016)
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
05-09-2016
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2016
imapeiceofwood said:
I extended twice past year. I was approved every single time.
For a reason I just put (family) and gave same UCI number as i got for sponsoring.
I guess they will know you are going throuhg sponsorhip. Plus of course letter from my husband that he is gonna pay for everything and how much he makes.
Hi imapeiceofwood! Once you were approved for an extension what is the next step? Did CIC ask for your passport to put a extension stamp or they mailed out a legal visitor extension permit (if one such thing exists) or mailed out a visitor record?

What happens when you leave the country and come back after receiving visitor visa extension? The 6 months extension date takes precedence or 6 months from the latest re-entry date?

cillyx5

Star Member
Oct 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2015
AOR Received.
07-15-2015
db80, we just submitted our extension request so aren't fully through the process yet.
My understanding is that the extension is only for the CURRENT visit. I believe if you leave the country and come back in, you will be stamped as a new visitor, with a new date.

All the best!

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
Form IMM5409 requested Feb 20, 2016
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
SA- Dec 10, 2015 ** DM- March 14, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Rec'd March 18, 2016
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
db80 said:
Hi imapeiceofwood! Once you were approved for an extension what is the next step? Did CIC ask for your passport to put a extension stamp or they mailed out a legal visitor extension permit (if one such thing exists) or mailed out a visitor record?

What happens when you leave the country and come back after receiving visitor visa extension? The 6 months extension date takes precedence or 6 months from the latest re-entry date?
I received a letter of approval for my extension. It has my UCI# on this letter. My passport was not requested. I am from the US, so not sure if it's the same for other countries.
If you leave Canada your Visitor status ends. When you come back it would be up to the Border officer to decide how long your next visit would be. You might be given a visitor record upon returning to Canada and it would be stamped with your exit date. I got one and he stapled it inside my passport.