+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending the validity of a medical exam

canusa2014

Aug 28, 2014
I am just curious if anyone has been asked to do a second medical exam because the first one expired, but was able to get CIC to extend the results of the first medical? My husband just got SA and I got AIP, but because my medical exam was older than 12 months, they requested that I do another one. It has been 18 months since I did my first medical exam. I am 18 weeks pregnant and not really thrilled about having to wait until after the baby is born in October for this process to finally be complete! I did send an email to ask them to extend the validity of the previous medical exam, but have not heard back from CIC yet as I just send the email this past Monday. I have made an appointment to get the medical done, but will have to wait until after the baby is born to get the x-ray.

Also, just out of curiosity, if spouses are exempt from the excessive medical demand and cannot be denied because of a medical condition, what is the point of asking me to do a second one? I have no medical issues, so I'm not worried about the results of doing a new exam, but having to spend that kind of money again is aggravating, especially since it is because CIC took a long vacation in processing inland applications!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
A medical can only be extended within 15 months of being done, so they will not be able to extend yours.

It is considered quite safe for a pregnant woman to have a chest X-ray with a lead apron covering the belly.

The medical is required to ensure that you are not a public health risk.

canusa2014

Aug 28, 2014
Thanks for your reply! I just think they should be able to tell from my first medical that I am not a health risk! I guess things could have changed in that regard over the last year and a half, but I still think it is a shame to have to re-do it just because they are taking so long to process the applications!

I have read that it is pretty safe to have the x-ray even when pregnant, but it is my understanding that most doctor's do not want to let you do it. We shall see what the doctor says when I go in for the exam.

Thanks again!