+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending the stay

M_hem

May 16, 2022
It’s been 4.5 months my sister came to Canada as a visitor. I want to apply to extent her stay. I should apply at least 30 days before her stat turns 6 months, which I am good so far for this deadline. However, the process time is 215 days, means when her legal stay expires, the extension application will be still under process. Does it count as illegal staying, or submission of application is enough? Any advice or recommendation?

Sandy11_1

Sep 17, 2018
I remember on the website. It says somewhere that during the application process, the applicant can stay here legally until the decision received. Maybe double check it.

Reactions: M_hem

M_hem

May 16, 2022
I remember on the website. It says somewhere that during the application process, the applicant can stay here legally until the decision received. Maybe double check it.
Thanks for replying. If for any reason government does not accept her application. She will leave for sure. But does it jeopardize her future application for coming to canada? Or is it counted as an illegal stay if they reject the extension?

Sandy11_1

Sep 17, 2018
Thanks for replying. If for any reason government does not accept her application. She will leave for sure. But does it jeopardize her future application for coming to canada? Or is it counted as an illegal stay if they reject the extension?
Not sure about the first question. But for the second question, I think it would not be counted as an illegal stay. “If you apply to extend your stay in Canada before the date you’re supposed to leave, you can legally stay in Canada until a decision is made on your application. In this situation, you have maintained your status.”

Reactions: freddieMercury