+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending study permit after it expires

Love_canada@4321

Star Member
Aug 21, 2018
Hi everyone

One of my friend came here to Canada in 2017 from India as an International student. She left her course midway because she found it difficult and thus switched to a different course. It was a 2 years course but she was able to finish off only 3 semesters as she did not not have money to resume the course. Also in March 2021, her student visa expired. Now she did not resume her studies,nor did she apply for study permit. But her SIN is active till 2022.

I know she messed it up badly. But is there any way out that she can take over her studies or apply for a work permit as she is already working in a restaurant full time.

Any help,guidance and suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Kindly let me know if you need more clarification about it.

Thanks in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone

One of my friend came here to Canada in 2017 from India as an International student. She left her course midway because she found it difficult and thus switched to a different course. It was a 2 years course but she was able to finish off only 3 semesters as she did not not have money to resume the course. Also in March 2021, her student visa expired. Now she did not resume her studies,nor did she apply for study permit. But her SIN is active till 2022.

I know she messed it up badly. But is there any way out that she can take over her studies or apply for a work permit as she is already working in a restaurant full time.

Thanks in advance.
If she has stopped studying there is a very good chance that her status was canceled and has been living without status in Canada before March 2021. If she kept working when she stopped studying that would also be working illegally. When did she stop studying full time?

Reactions: Naturgrl

sb22651

Jul 15, 2021
Hi everyone

Thanks in advance.
Her study permit expires when she stopped studying after her 3rd semester, not March 2021.

So she was staying and working in Canada illegally for more than 3 years.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Her study permit expires when she stopped studying after her 3rd semester, not March 2021.

So she was staying and working in Canada illegally for more than 3 years.
Well you said she switched to another course so it wasn’t clear. There is a very good chance that her status was cancelled 3 years ago not March 21st. Schools are required to report students who do not attend. By waiting for so long she has knowingly been working for 3 years illegally. Chances of getting a study permit or a WP are almost zero. Her best shot is to apply for H&C and hope for the best but there is a good chance she will need to return home.

sb22651

Jul 15, 2021
Hi everyone

Thanks in advance.
And what do you mean she is already working in a restaurant full time? Does she have a work permit? So she knowingly work while having no valid status in canada. this will not look good on her.

Her best course of action is to leave Canada asap.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone

Thanks in advance.
It's too late for her to fix her status from within Canada. As others have said, she has been out of status for several years now since her study permit would have been automatically canceled when she stopped attending school. Additionally, the illegal work is very problematic. A work permit is not going to happen.

She needs to return to her home country and spend at least a couple of years there to build ties and try to overcome the illegal stay / illegal work in Canada. Once she has lived in her home country again for a few years, she can try reapplying to come to Canada.