+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

EXTENDING STUDENT VISA AND TRV ONLINE

nialoira

Apr 20, 2014
Hi!

I am in Canada and I need to extend my Study Permit because some courses where not offered this last semester. As you may know SP usually match the date of your TRV. I know I should extend my SP first and then my TRV to travel abroad. I qualify to do both online but I am wondering if it really takes 32 days for SP and 7 days to extend the TRV (based on the official website information as of today). Do you need to send the passport or you get a sticker (TRV) sent?

Also it is stated, again in the official website that with a valid SP you may be allow to re-enter Canada, any experience on this?

If anyone can advice or comment about this, much appreciated.

Thank you!!

yumirdci

Sep 9, 2014
Where did you get "7 days" number? This applies only for initial visitor visa from inside Canada. You should pick Visitor extension, which is around 39 days now, same as Study Permit Extension pretty much

nialoira

Apr 20, 2014
Hi! thanks for your reply...
I got it from here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/

Last update: May 6, 2016 Updated weekly

Processing times tell you how long it took Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to process applications in the past after receiving a complete application package. Processing times can vary, depending on how many applications IRCC receives. Your application may be delayed if it’s not complete.

If it has been longer than the time shown since you applied, and you cannot check the status of your application online, you may contact us by using this Web form.

Does not include document mailing time.

Only valid Study or Work Permit holders can apply for new temporary resident visas from inside Canada.

I asked an immigration lawyer about this and said it applies for Study or Work Permit holders. The question is if someone knows if one must send the passport, or how does it works?

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

nialoira said:
Hi!

I am in Canada and I need to extend my Study Permit because some courses where not offered this last semester. As you may know SP usually match the date of your TRV. I know I should extend my SP first and then my TRV to travel abroad. I qualify to do both online but I am wondering if it really takes 32 days for SP and 7 days to extend the TRV (based on the official website information as of today). Do you need to send the passport or you get a sticker (TRV) sent?

Also it is stated, again in the official website that with a valid SP you may be allow to re-enter Canada, any experience on this?

If anyone can advice or comment about this, much appreciated.

Thank you!!

1. You can't apply for a TRV without a valid SP. In other words, you can't apply for both if first SP is expired.
2. It takes around 7 working days for a TRV processing (inside Canada).
3. You will get a request to send PP for TRV stamp.
4. You can enter Canada with a valid TRV (not SP).

yumirdci

Sep 9, 2014
J5M said:
Hi,

1. You can't apply for a TRV without a valid SP. In other words, you can't apply for both if first SP is expired.
2. It takes around 7 working days for a TRV processing (inside Canada).
3. You will get a request to send PP for TRV stamp.
4. You can enter Canada with a valid TRV (not SP).
Why are you guys keep posting the "7 days" number? That is incorrect. For the extension it's 39 days. Check CIC processing times and pick Visitor Extension, not Visitor Visa from Inside Canada!

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

yumirdci said:
Why are you guys keep posting the "7 days" number? That is incorrect. For the extension it's 39 days. Check CIC processing times and pick Visitor Extension, not Visitor Visa from Inside Canada!

Incorrect.

1. You need to select 'Visitor from inside Canada'. It's 7 days. You are not asking for extension because you hold a student status with a valid study permit.

Feb 23, 2016
J5M said:
Hi,

Incorrect.

1. You need to select 'Visitor from inside Canada'. It's 7 days. You are not asking for extension because you hold a student status with a valid study permit.
Thank you so much for your answer! I was wondering the same thing, and thought I would have to refund my plane ticket because of the ridiculous 39 days.