+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending stay as visitor

Xylnaeri

Star Member
Aug 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone could help me out.
I'm currently in Canada living with my partner, and I'm leaving at the end of January.
We want to (finally) get married, and apply for the family sponsorship, but I want to extend my stay so we have time to get everything done.
Is it a valid reason to apply for an extension of my current status, that we are going to get married and we are going to apply (Maybe pay the fees for the sponsorship applications to show) ?

Also in the application it asks for martial status, if we are engaged at the time of the application, what would I put there? Would that be common-law until we are married?

Is there any other, more "simple" way to do this?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone could help me out.
I'm currently in Canada living with my partner, and I'm leaving at the end of January.
We want to (finally) get married, and apply for the family sponsorship, but I want to extend my stay so we have time to get everything done.
Is it a valid reason to apply for an extension of my current status, that we are going to get married and we are going to apply (Maybe pay the fees for the sponsorship applications to show) ?

Also in the application it asks for martial status, if we are engaged at the time of the application, what would I put there? Would that be common-law until we are married?

Is there any other, more "simple" way to do this?
Hi

Yes, that is a valid reason to ask for an extension.

Engaged is not a legal status. If you are common-law, then put that. Otherwise, you are still legally single.

An extension app is pretty simple, so not quite sure what you are looking for.

Xylnaeri

Star Member
Aug 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi

Yes, that is a valid reason to ask for an extension.

Engaged is not a legal status. If you are common-law, then put that. Otherwise, you are still legally single.

An extension app is pretty simple, so not quite sure what you are looking for.
Oh okay! Do you think I should pay for the application fees for the sponsorship stuff or should I wait until we actually get married and start aplying?

Also, could I apply for one year or is that too much?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Oh okay! Do you think I should pay for the application fees for the sponsorship stuff or should I wait until we actually get married and start aplying?

Also, could I apply for one year or is that too much?
You can pay the fees now.

You said in your first post that you are planning on leaving in January. If that is the case, there is no point in asking for a year.

Xylnaeri

Star Member
Aug 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can pay the fees now.

You said in your first post that you are planning on leaving in January. If that is the case, there is no point in asking for a year.
Well I want to stay, so I don't have to go home in January, which is why I want to apply to extend my stay?