+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending stay as visitor to establish common-law - urgent advice needed please!

ScottishGuy

Jun 21, 2012
Hi folks,

Looking for some advice and this seems like the right place to ask for it! I'll try to give all the facts, but forgive me if I miss anything.

I'm a UK citizen and I've been in a relationship with my girlfriend (Can citizen) for four years. I've been in Canada for the last two years (two one-year periods) under a working holiday program. I plan to stay in Canada as a visitor and do telecommuting work for companies in the US until I return home for a visit in December. We've been living together maritally since November, and obviously need to keep doing so until at least this November to apply for PR under common-law sponsorship. Staying in Canada while that application takes place is another issue for down the road. though :).

My work permit expires on July 22 and I plan to submit my application to extend my stay as a visitor within the next week. I have a few questions.

I owe some taxes to the provincial government from 2011, though I am trying to pay this as quickly as possible. Will this have a negative impact on my chances of being approved?

My current funds are low, but my work is ongoing. Might there be any issue with the fact that I don't have considerable funds on an initial basis?

I plan to start learning to drive. Can I do that while I'm a visitor?

If I lose my job for some reason, my girlfriend and parents have said they will support me until I am on my feet, with proof of income from my GF included in the application. Please take a look at the letters I plan to submit with my application (personal info removed) to tell me if there is any information I could add or remove to increase my chances.

My letter:

To whom it may concern,

I wish to extend my stay in Canada as a visitor.

I intend to temporarily stay with my long-term romantic partner, Lady, while we establish the necessary time living together for Lady to sponsor my permanent residency application as my common-law spouse. We have lived together maritally since November 1, 2011. I love Lady more than words can express, and we wish to spend the rest of our lives together.

To take care of my expenses during my stay as a visitor, I intend to continue my telecommuting work for a company based in the United States. I have no intention of attempting to enter the Canadian labor market while in Canada as a visitor.

The bank statements I have included show that I have supported myself financially during my time in Canada. If I am unable to work at any point during my stay, my girlfriend and parents have agreed to support me. I have included letters from both my partner and parents attesting to this.

I also plan to take out an travel insurance policy for the duration of my stay. I am in good health and have had no medical problems requiring a visit to a medical facility over the last two years.

I intend to return to the U.K. in December, however if this application is refused for any reason I will return to the U.K. as soon as possible.

As I would like to become a permanent resident of Canada, I have absolutely no intention of breaking any immigration rules or performing any action that could negatively impact my status as a temporary resident. I believe I have fulfilled all necessary criteria allowing me to remain within Canada as a visitor.

I wish for nothing more than to remain living with my partner and to continue as a productive member of the Canadian society, albeit as a temporary resident while my long-term status is resolved.

Should you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you for your consideration.

Lady's letter:

To whom it may concern,

This is to certify that ScottishGuy will be visiting me in Canada until December 9, 2012 as we establish our common-law relationship for the purposes of permanent residency purposes. His work permit allows him to stay in Canada until July 22, 2012, but he would like to extend his stay in Canada.

ScottishGuy is my romantic partner, with whom I have been in a relationship for four years. He will be staying at my apartment while he is in Canada.

He will support himself through his work for a United States company, although I will provide financial support if necessary. I have included proof of my income through my bank statements.

If you require any more info (etc etc)

Lady's personal info, including address, contact info and employment
My personal info, including Canadian address, UK address, phone number and employment details

Parent's letter:

To whom it may concern,

I wish to acknowledge that I will support my son, ScottishGuy, financially if necessary while he is in Canada. Although he intends to support himself by telecommuting for a company based in the United States, I and my husband both work full-time jobs, and will provide him with funds if need be.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if any more information is needed.

Kind regards,
etc etc

Any advice would be really appreciated!

rohitnar

Nov 14, 2012
Hi:

I am also planning on telecommuting so how did yours go? How did you do your taxes in Canada, any information can help me. Thanks