+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending OWP

Jaki542

Jan 29, 2024
Hi everyone, I hold an OWP as a dependent to my wife, who is a student. My visa expires in Jan 2025, and my wife, currently focusing on her studies, is not working. To extend my visa, she needs a job, but her studies conclude in July 2024, leaving only five months to get her job and applying for my extension seems a bit challenging. I would appreciate any advice on the best path forward. Your guidance would be a great relief.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone, I hold an OWP as a dependent to my wife, who is a student. My visa expires in Jan 2025, and my wife, currently focusing on her studies, is not working. To extend my visa, she needs a job, but her studies conclude in July 2024, leaving only five months to get her job and applying for my extension seems a bit challenging. I would appreciate any advice on the best path forward. Your guidance would be a great relief.
If her studies finish in June 2024 then her study permit expires 90 days after. She will want to get a job with 3 paystubs for you to be eligible for SOWP extension.

Reactions: Jaki542

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Best advice is for her to start looking for a job at least a few months before graduation so she hopefully has secured a job that will start right after graduation. This is easier said than done but getting a job in Canada can be a very long process.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Jaki542

Jan 29, 2024
If her studies finish in June 2024 then her study permit expires 90 days after. She will want to get a job with 3 paystubs for you to be eligible for SOWP extension.
Thank you for your reply. Is there any mandatory time frame to extend my OWP as soon as she finishes her studies in June 2024?