+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending my wife's visitor visa. What should I write as Purpose of Visit?

frightenedpanda

Sep 12, 2017
I am filling the form 5708E - Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay or Remain in Canada as a Visitor or Temporary Permanent Permit Holder

We have applied for her Open Work Permit and Inland Spousal PR and would like to extend her stay as we have not seen any movement on either of her applications. I know application to OWP gives her implied status but it wont come until after her status expires and I don't want her to be out of status in case the OWP gets delayed/lost in mail.

In the form, there is a section on "Details of Visit to Canada". Her original reason was a family visit but then we got married and applied for her PR. Now, for extension, should I mention her original reason? or that her inland spouse PR and Open Work Permit is in process?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am filling the form 5708E - Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay or Remain in Canada as a Visitor or Temporary Permanent Permit Holder

We have applied for her Open Work Permit and Inland Spousal PR and would like to extend her stay as we have not seen any movement on either of her applications. I know application to OWP gives her implied status but it wont come until after her status expires and I don't want her to be out of status in case the OWP gets delayed/lost in mail.

In the form, there is a section on "Details of Visit to Canada". Her original reason was a family visit but then we got married and applied for her PR. Now, for extension, should I mention her original reason? or that her inland spouse PR and Open Work Permit is in process?
Waiting for sponsorship and include proof of the sponsorship app.

Reactions: frightenedpanda

Vendi

Star Member
Apr 26, 2018

I think it should be waiting of spousal pr me, am filling my extension and I said to qualify for common law status because that's what we want to achieve them later apply for PR common law spouserahip
There is this qn
Date and place of your most recent entry to canada ( if not the same as original entry) should I leave it blank because it's my first time into canada.

Apr 6, 2015
Hi,
I applied for my wife sponsorship application along with open work permit as she is currently on Visitor Visa in Canada.
Do i need to apply for her visitor visa extension 30 days before her current status expires? Thanks in advance for your help

Apr 6, 2015
Ya just to be sure
Thanks Vendi. Couple of follow up questions.
1. In IMM57083, in Purpose of Visit i am stating as "Other" and in the comments i am writing "Waiting for Open Work permit & Spouse Sponsorship". Should i also attach Marriage Certificate and Fees Receipt (Both for Spouse sponsorship and Open work permit fees). Is there any other document that i need to attach for supporting purpose of visit.
2. There is still close to 50 days left for her current status to expire. Can i apply now or i should apply just before 30 days.

Thanks in advance for all your assistance.

Vendi

Star Member
Apr 26, 2018
Thanks Vendi. Couple of follow up questions.
1. In IMM57083, in Purpose of Visit i am stating as "Other" and in the comments i am writing "Waiting for Open Work permit & Spouse Sponsorship". Should i also attach Marriage Certificate and Fees Receipt (Both for Spouse sponsorship and Open work permit fees). Is there any other document that i need to attach for supporting purpose of visit.
2. There is still close to 50 days left for her current status to expire. Can i apply now or i should apply just before 30 days.

Thanks in advance for all your assistance.
Sorry for late reply. Yes you should attach the spousal and work permit receipts and marriage certificate if you like. Apply with in 30days i also sent in my spousal sponsership application and work permit on Tuesday. I still have status from my visa record until oct but if i havent received my work permit by then i will send in another extension that will be the 3rd time to send in an extension

Apr 6, 2015
Thanks Vendi. Within how many days you received your new visitor record after you applied for the extension online.

Cic website shows that open work permit applications are processed in.35 days.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
I applied for my wife sponsorship application along with open work permit as she is currently on Visitor Visa in Canada.
Do i need to apply for her visitor visa extension 30 days before her current status expires? Thanks in advance for your help
If she has AOR from OWP she has implied status. Unless she wants to travel outside of Canada she is fine.

Apr 6, 2015
If she has AOR from OWP she has implied status. Unless she wants to travel outside of Canada she is fine.
Thanks for the clarification. Appreciate your response. It means that I might have to apply for her visitor visa extension if I don't receive her OWP AOR 30 days before her current status expires.