+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending my mom's visitor visa

karanbir498

May 5, 2019
Hello,

My mother came here for visiting me on Dec 2019, and was planning to go back May 28. But due to whole Covid-19, I would like her to stay here as long as possible until the situation is stable enough. I am on PGWP here, and she has Multiple Visa until 2028.

Afaik, the maximum Visitor Record extension I can get is 6 months. So would it be better if I apply for visitor record around end of April (since CIC recommends applying at least 30 days prior), or should I apply asap (since the processing times are a lot).

Also, if her stay here expires while we have applied for extension, does she get implied status as well?

EDIT: Just realized I posted this under "Moving from US" section. I'll repost this in "Temporary Entry to Canada".

Last edited:

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just apply end April / begin May given once you submit the application she can stay in implied status until a decision is made and even without the current emergency processing time is near 3-4 months so will possibly be longer anyway.The 30 day reference in reality is more of a guideline but would not necessarily recommend leaving anything to the last minute, your decision.

Make sure any insurance she has will still be valid for an extended stay,

Last edited:

lossada

Sep 5, 2017
Hello,

My mother came here for visiting me on Dec 2019, and was planning to go back May 28. But due to whole Covid-19, I would like her to stay here as long as possible until the situation is stable enough. I am on PGWP here, and she has Multiple Visa until 2028.

Afaik, the maximum Visitor Record extension I can get is 6 months. So would it be better if I apply for visitor record around end of April (since CIC recommends applying at least 30 days prior), or should I apply asap (since the processing times are a lot).

Also, if her stay here expires while we have applied for extension, does she get implied status as well?

EDIT: Just realized I posted this under "Moving from US" section. I'll repost this in "Temporary Entry to Canada".
you have time, just prepare a good file, try to see which document you should send online, take a good photo, letter of explanation, your status, and an extra letter of you, proof of funds, etc
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5551-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada.html

Reactions: karanbir498