+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending IEC Visa

Vancity180

Apr 4, 2013
Hi guys,

I would really appreciate your feedback on my current situation.

I came to Canada on 4 June 2012 on an IEC visa and started working at an executive search firm in August 2012. This visa has a duration of a year and therefore is due to expire on 4 June 2013.

I missed the deadline to extend my visa as I was not aware that the process had changed (I am really kicking myself about this), the quota for this particular visa has now been filled.

Is it possible for me to obtain 'implied status' by applying to extend my visa. Ultimately, I know that my application will be rejected. However, I understand that the average time to process an application is 90 days and therefore this will allow me additional time to continue working with my current firm and build on my experience in Canada.

If I do gain 'implied status' then by September 2013, I would have acquired 12 months experience with my current employer, does this mean I can then apply for a further visa under the Canadian Experience class? I appreciate that I will not be able to work once my application has been rejected, but should I be eligible then at least I can get a move on with preparing my paperwork for this visa and looki to apply for another IEC visa in 2014.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance for your assistance.

eimear

Feb 21, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-2013
AOR Received.
10-06-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Hi, not sure if this will be of any use to you but its not recommended applying for an extension of your work permit as a means of buying time. If you make an application for a work extension with no formal grounds for it to be accepted (i.e. no LMO/PNP/CEC application number), it is frowned upon by Immigration Canada. It is essentially cheating the system and immigration officers will not be impressed.
Would the company you work for be willing to apply for an LMO for you?
The only other option is going back home when your visa expires and applying for a new IEC visa when they come out in January, the 12 months work experience you need for applying for permanent residency does not have to be consecutive.

Vancity180

Apr 4, 2013
Hi Eimear,

Thank you so much for your assistance, great to get some guidance. Unfortunately, my firm will not be in a position to apply for a LMO. Given the nature of the work I do, a Canadian would be able to do it.

I think I will have to return and apply again next year and just make sure that I have all my paperwork ready to apply for PR.

Thank you again for your help, I am very grateful.

eimear

Feb 21, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-2013
AOR Received.
10-06-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
You're welcome, I think its the safest option myself, at least when you apply for PR you have done everything by the book. And hey, its not so bad going home and seeing family and friends for a few months before you head back here.
Good luck with everything.