+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending a Post Graduate Work Permit

guillecr

Star Member
Oct 14, 2015
Hi, Anybody know how to extend the Post graduate work permit,

My PGWP suppose to be 3 year long but my passport expire after one year i received it. My permit have a note that state.

Document issued ti passport expiry date; must be renewed for further extensions. port graduate work permit.

I would like to know if anybody knows how to do the extension through an online application.

Thanks.

sw6lee

Star Member
Mar 18, 2012
I'm in the same boat. Could someone please help us how to apply online? Some old posts mention applying the same way as starting over the PGWP application as a beginning, and mentioning in the letter that it's just an extension. Some old posts say that in the online questionnaire, they say you need LMIA, so in the application package, you just say N/A under LMIA and mention it's for a PGWP extension.

These are what I've gathered, but they are all a bit old info. Any help on how to apply online would be really helpful. Online application will be much faster so it is preferred as you understand.

Thanks!

dsingh72

Dec 29, 2016
Hi there,
I have the same story. What did you find? Could you extend your PGWP without LMIA? Please reply me back. Thank you so much. :-*

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
dsingh72 said:
Hi there,
I have the same story. What did you find? Could you extend your PGWP without LMIA? Please reply me back. Thank you so much. :-*
You do not need an LMIA to extend a PGWP, an LMIA has nothing to do with having a PGWP they are separate processes/programs.

You can obviously only apply to extend a PGWP if issued short due to an early passport expiry and you now have a new passport. There are multiple posts on this forum what process to follow to achieve this.

sw6lee

Star Member
Mar 18, 2012
Hi guys, I got it extended in merely one month by applying online as if I'm applying for PGWP all over again. I had to attach graduation letter from school, and other documents you would need when you first apply for it. You have to mention anywhere possible that you are actually EXTENDING it. I included an explanation letter as well. Good luck.

ravdawg

Star Member
Oct 7, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sw6lee said:
Hi guys, I got it extended in merely one month by applying online as if I'm spying for PGWP all over again. I had to attach graduation letter from school, and other documents you would need when you first apply for it. You have to mention anywhere possible that you are actually EXTENDING it. I included an explanation letter as well. Good luck.
Hi how did you get it extended, what steps did you take to do it online? Thanks!

jtrevayne

Aug 22, 2017
Hi, Anybody know how to extend the Post graduate work permit,

My PGWP suppose to be 3 year long but my passport expire after one year i received it. My permit have a note that state.

Document issued ti passport expiry date; must be renewed for further extensions. port graduate work permit.

I would like to know if anybody knows how to do the extension through an online application.

Thanks.

Hi. I know this reply may be too late for you. However, I have found myself in the same boat. I called Citizenship and Immigration Canada and asked the same question. I spoke to a nice lady named Tanya who emailed me the instructions on how to extend the permit. Apparently this is a regular transaction that they do and it is the only instance when an extension is given.

Here is a screenshot of her email to me.

https://drive.google.
com/file/d/0BwwJQESHp4E
1VmU4Q3U5Vnc4d0k/view?usp=sharing

(I split up the URL of the screenshot because the forum would not allow me to post the complete thing)

Links from the screencapture
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5553ETOC.asp

Hope you find this helpful.

VanGCG

Sep 2, 2017
Hi. I know this reply may be too late for you. However, I have found myself in the same boat. I called Citizenship and Immigration Canada and asked the same question. I spoke to a nice lady named Tanya who emailed me the instructions on how to extend the permit. Apparently this is a regular transaction that they do and it is the only instance when an extension is given.

Here is a screenshot of her email to me.

https://drive.google.
com/file/d/0BwwJQESHp4E
1VmU4Q3U5Vnc4d0k/view?usp=sharing

(I split up the URL of the screenshot because the forum would not allow me to post the complete thing)

Links from the screencapture
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5553ETOC.asp

Hope you find this helpful.
Hi, I am in the same situation, I am just wondering if I can do the application online to renew my PGWP or if the CIC agent stated that it needs to be done by mail.
And, approximately at what time did you call CIC? I've been trying to call them, but the lines are always busy.

Thanks

jtrevayne

Aug 22, 2017
Hi. The agent spoke about mailing it in. I kept calling in. I started around 9 and kept calling every forty five minutes (but I'm at work too, so it may have not been that frequently). I think it was sometime between 2:30 and 3:30 that I got to talk to someone after a 25 minute wait.

aszadpatel

May 26, 2018
hi, guys i want to know that if I want to extend my work permit than what is the chance ?
I have done 1 year post graduation and so I will have one year work permit , so how can i extend my work permit ?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
hi, guys i want to know that if I want to extend my work permit than what is the chance ?
I have done 1 year post graduation and so I will have one year work permit , so how can i extend my work permit ?
A PGWP cannot be extended unless issued short due to passport expiry so you would need to take another 1 year course to qualify for a 3 year PGWP under the 2x1 rule.

Jun 14, 2018
A PGWP cannot be extended unless issued short due to passport expiry so you would need to take another 1 year course to qualify for a 3 year PGWP under the 2x1 rule.
Hi, Can you explain a little bit when you wrote: A PGWP cannot be extended unless issued short due to passport expiry so you would need to take another 1 year course to qualify for a 3 year PGWP under the 2x1 rule.

I mean what is this 2*1 rule? Are you sure about this? Can you share CIC website link that states/describes this information.

Would really appreciate your reply.

Thanks in advance.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi, Can you explain a little bit when you wrote: A PGWP cannot be extended unless issued short due to passport expiry so you would need to take another 1 year course to qualify for a 3 year PGWP under the 2x1 rule.

I mean what is this 2*1 rule? Are you sure about this? Can you share CIC website link that states/describes this information.

Would really appreciate your reply.

Thanks in advance.
See the validity section in link below

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/eligibility.html