+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extended passport impact PR processing time

bahar1326

Jan 18, 2018
hi,
My passport will be expire in 5 months and my open work permit and visa will be expire in 2 months.
I need to know what should i do logically?
Should i extend my passport first then extend my work permit OR extend my work permit for at least next 5 months then try to extend my passport and extend my work permit again based on my new passport.
My other question is; having a new passport number affect on the pr processing time? How should I let them know i have extended my passport?
Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
hi,
My passport will be expire in 5 months and my open work permit and visa will be expire in 2 months.
I need to know what should i do logically?
Should i extend my passport first then extend my work permit OR extend my work permit for at least next 5 months then try to extend my passport and extend my work permit again based on my new passport.
My other question is; having a new passport number affect on the pr processing time? How should I let them know i have extended my passport?
Thanks
Renew your passport. You just send a Webform with a copy of the new passport. It doesn't affect the app.

bahar1326

Jan 18, 2018
Renew your passport. You just send a Webform with a copy of the new passport. It doesn't affect the app.
Wow! You replied so fast. Thanks alot. So I need to renew my passport first then apply for work permit renewal/ extension? I dont want to loose my job. Last time renewing my open work permit took 1 and half months. Hope i can get my passport renewal less then a month.
I have been working for my current job almost a year, and I applied for work permit renewal a week after I started my current job. Should I extend my work permit or renew it?
Thanks again for your great knowledge!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Wow! You replied so fast. Thanks alot. So I need to renew my passport first then apply for work permit renewal/ extension? I dont want to loose my job. Last time renewing my open work permit took 1 and half months. Hope i can get my passport renewal less then a month.
I have been working for my current job almost a year, and I applied for work permit renewal a week after I started my current job. Should I extend my work permit or renew it?
Thanks again for your great knowledge!
Yes, renew your passport first. There is no point in trying to extend a work permit when your passport is only valid for a few more months. The app would likely just be refused.

Renewal = extension.

You can apply to extend your work permit up until it actually expires.

bahar1326

Jan 18, 2018
Yes, renew your passport first. There is no point in trying to extend a work permit when your passport is only valid for a few more months. The app would likely just be refused.

Renewal = extension.

You can apply to extend your work permit up until it actually expires.
I am so happy for your great help tonight. I had such a hard time to figure out how to solve this issue on the best way. I think your clear and smart answer would really assists me to make the right decision. I will apply for the passport renewal first then go for work permit renewal.

Besides, I wanna share something here maybe useful.
I was working at the other company before my current job and found my open work permit is close to expiry date so I have applied to renew it on Jan 30 2018. After one month I called them to ask for any update and i got shocked as they said you applied to extend your permit while you should have applied as a new permit so I had to apply as a new permit on March 1, 2018 and got the approval 1 and half months after. I should add that I started my current job on Feb 26, 2018 so I am still confused why did they refused my permit app and asked me to reapply. Also they did not refund the permit app cost.
Anyways, thanks again for your amazing help and care.