+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extended Family Travel Exemption (Form IMM 006) - Renewal

WPGBound

Star Member
May 12, 2020
Is anyone aware of guidance on applying for a second travel exemption (or renewal) for extended family members?

I received a 6 month multi-entry renewal in October. I am back in the states and am planning a second trip to visit my loved one in Canada, however I am waiting to hopefully be COVID vaccinated before doing so.

Ideally, I'd like to extend my current exemption or be on top of the ball and apply for a second one soon so that I won't have a gap period where I may not be able to travel. I could not find any guidance on a renewal or applying for a second exemption (while the current one is still valid).

Does anyone have information to share on this?

Baseline guidance here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html#extended

mugs60

Aug 26, 2016
My understanding is that if your current authorization is still valid (still within the six month window) you need not reapply. You only have to get a second statutory declaration and authorization after the six month time period for visits runs out. I would go ahead and reapply to get a jumpstart and see what happens.

WPGBound

Star Member
May 12, 2020
My understanding is that if your current authorization is still valid (still within the six month window) you need not reapply. You only have to get a second statutory declaration and authorization after the six month time period for visits runs out.
Thanks for the reply. I don't think I was clear. I'm wondering if I can pre-emptively apply (or extend) for a second one? At least my experience when I first applied was over a one month wait, and I would like to minimize any gap where I may not be exempt for travel.

mugs60

Aug 26, 2016
Thanks for the reply. I don't think I was clear. I'm wondering if I can pre-emptively apply (or extend) for a second one? At least my experience when I first applied was over a one month wait, and I would like to minimize any gap where I may not be exempt for travel.
I would try and see what happens.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should be aware that there are new requirements for quarantining and covid testing so travelling to visit Canada will be more difficult/more expensive. If you are flying you will only be able to fly into 4 cities from the US before being able to travel on to Winnipeg.