+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extended Family Member Process

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
As per agent she can, thats why wanted confirmation. Thank you for clarification. I guess agent was wrong or confused.
As stated on the website for extended family. Sister or brother-in-law is not listed (Second part...is related to the spouse)

If your relationship is with a Canadian citizen, person registered under Canada’s Indian Act or permanent resident, you must be
  • in an exclusive dating relationship, have been in the relationship for at least 1 year and have spent time in the physical presence of that person at some point during the relationship
    • You and the person you’re in the relationship with must both be 18 years of age or older.
  • a non-dependent child (adult child)
  • a grandchild (dependent child of a non-dependent adult child)
  • a sibling, half-sibling or step-sibling
  • a grandparent
If you’re related to the spouse or common-law partner of a Canadian citizen, person registered under Canada’s Indian Act or permanent resident, you must be a

• non-dependent child (adult child)
  • grandchild (dependent child of a non-dependent adult child)
  • sibling, half-sibling or step-sibling
  • grandparent

Malharp

Dec 7, 2020
As stated on the website for extended family. Sister or brother-in-law is not listed (Second part...is related to the spouse)

If your relationship is with a Canadian citizen, person registered under Canada’s Indian Act or permanent resident, you must be
  • in an exclusive dating relationship, have been in the relationship for at least 1 year and have spent time in the physical presence of that person at some point during the relationship
    • You and the person you’re in the relationship with must both be 18 years of age or older.
  • a grandparent
If you’re related to the spouse or common-law partner of a Canadian citizen, person registered under Canada’s Indian Act or permanent resident, you must be a

• grandparent
It says

• a grandparent

• grandparent
As per below It says person's spouse or common law partner. I guess it means sibling and person's spouse. Please correct me if i am wrong.
  • a sibling, half-sibling or step-sibling of the person or of the person’s spouse or common-law partner
Below is all listed under extended member.

Extended family members in respect of a Canadian citizen, person registered as an Indian under the Indian Act or permanent resident are

• an individual who is 18 years of age or older, is in an exclusive dating relationship with the person (who is also 18 years of age or older), has been in such a relationship for at least 1 year and has spent time in the physical presence of the person during the course of the relationship
  • a dependent child of the person in the exclusive dating relationship
  • a child of the person, of their spouse or common-law partner or of the person in the exclusive dating relationship
  • a dependent child of a child (that is, a grandchild)
  • a sibling, half-sibling or step-sibling of the person or of the person’s spouse or common-law partner
  • a grandparent of the person or of the person’s spouse or common-law partner

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
It says

As per below It says person's spouse or common law partner. I guess it means sibling and person's spouse. Please correct me if i am wrong.
Below is all listed under extended member.

Extended family members in respect of a Canadian citizen, person registered as an Indian under the Indian Act or permanent resident are

• an individual who is 18 years of age or older, is in an exclusive dating relationship with the person (who is also 18 years of age or older), has been in such a relationship for at least 1 year and has spent time in the physical presence of the person during the course of the relationship
  • a dependent child of the person in the exclusive dating relationship
  • a child of the person, of their spouse or common-law partner or of the person in the exclusive dating relationship
  • a dependent child of a child (that is, a grandchild)
  • a grandparent of the person or of the person’s spouse or common-law partner
No where is it stated your wife would be eligible. You are the “sibling, half-sibling or step-sibling of the person” who is your brother OR of the person’s spouse or common-law partner (your brother’ spouse). So if your brother wasn’t PR/citizen but his spouse was, you would be eligible as a sibling.

Malharp

Dec 7, 2020
No where is it stated your wife would be eligible. You are the “sibling, half-sibling or step-sibling of the person” who is your brother OR of the person’s spouse or common-law partner (your brother’ spouse). So if your brother wasn’t PR/citizen but his spouse was, you would be eligible as a sibling.
I think you are correct. I don't know why 2 agents said she can. I think need to call and confirm again.

Thank you for information.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I think you are correct. I don't know why 2 agents said she can. I think need to call and confirm again.

Thank you for information.
Telephone agents work in a call centre and are not immigration officers. Frequently they don’t give correct information.

Sledge

Star Member
Dec 30, 2020
Edmonton
Category........
VISIT
I recently became aware of imm0006e and the inclusion of people in long distance relationships over 12 months and having spent time together. My girlfriend is in Indonesia, working in Bali for a few more weeks, then back to Jakarta.

I've read some conflicting information, to either include the imm0006e with the TRV or email it in separately. Which is it?

I am acting as her representative and she has digitally signed the Use of a Representative form, which I assume is acceptable?

Her current passport expires in July so she will be renewing that once she gets back to Jakarta. The processing time for TRV in Indonesia is 238 days! Can that be correct? If so, it sounds like they aren't doing any processing. Not a lot of people visit from Indonesia so I assume they aren't even bothering with TRV. So knowing this, should we wait from 6-8 weeks before submitting the TRV with her future passport, or can we submit using the old passport which expires in 8 months or wait for the replacement passport possibly in March?

We've already been apart for 14 months and the thought of waiting another 8 months (+up to 2 more months waiting for the new passport) really is disheartening. We would like to do things as quickly as possible obviously.

KHJN

Star Member
Aug 30, 2018
My time line
As Extended family member
12nov20 Applied online
22nov20 Sent email to ircc explaining my relationship and not aware of the imm0006 form.
11dec20 Got a reply on email from ircc on to submitt imm0006 form along with proof of relationship to process application.
18dec20 Sent imm0006 form with all the required docs.
04jan21 got 3 messages on my cic account for passport request, exemption approval to travel with 6months validity and biometrics update.
05jan20 passport sent through courier.
Now waiting :)
Hope its helpful..

Gill@PB

Aug 18, 2019
My time line
As Extended family member
12nov20 Applied online
22nov20 Sent email to ircc explaining my relationship and not aware of the imm0006 form.
11dec20 Got a reply on email from ircc on to submitt imm0006 form along with proof of relationship to process application.
18dec20 Sent imm0006 form with all the required docs.
04jan21 got 3 messages on my cic account for passport request, exemption approval to travel with 6months validity and biometrics update.
05jan20 passport sent through courier.
Now waiting :)
Hope its helpful..
I have some question, please guide
1. what did you fill in PURPOSE OF TRAVEL in imm0006 form? Family reunification?
2. what else you wrote in email?
3. Do you have dependents? If yes did they got exemption.

thanks

Sharkha

Nov 21, 2017
I am Permanent resident and I applied extended family trv for my fiance who was pursuing erasmus internship in Spain. So i believe that visa will be processed in Paris visa office. Right? But after finishing the internship my fiance will move to another country, and with the updated address the visa office will be in Ankara. Apart from updating the address using Webform, should i also contact the Paris Visa Office to transfer the file to Ankara VO ? Please suggest- thanks in advance for your help.

timeline:
Online application and AOR-2 june 2021
Biometrics request-3 june 2021
Biometrics done and updated to profile-18 june 2021.
No other update yet.
Also filed for gcms notes in the meanwhile.

Sharkha

Nov 21, 2017
Does he need to apply for visitor visa first? Thanks
If his current passport requires a visitor visa to enter Canada then he needs to apply for Visitor Visa online at the CIC website. Follow this link:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors.html

If you just read the beginning of the page, you will see that it is difficult to get into Canada due to Covid-19 but once you read the complete webpage, you will get an understanding of the exceptions and how to apply for EXTENDED Family Member Visitor Visa.