17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hi everyone,

Can COPR/PRV holders post March 2020 be eligible to apply for travel exemptions as extended family members given that necessary authorization forms are filled out and obtained?

@legalfalcon your thoughts are highly appreciated, thank you.
There are no guidelines per se. However, technically the answer would be no if you have dependent family members in your PR application as all family members have to land together due to COVID and not all dependents will meet the "immediate family member" definition to qualify.

pisces88

Apr 4, 2019
There are no guidelines per se. However, technically the answer would be no if you have dependent family members in your PR application as all family members have to land together due to COVID and not all dependents will meet the "immediate family member" definition to qualify.
Thank you for your prompt response. I am a single applicant without dependent family members in my PR application. Thus, I'm just curious if it's allowed to apply for travel exemptions under such.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Thank you for your prompt response. I am a single applicant without dependent family members in my PR application. Thus, I'm just curious if it's allowed to apply for travel exemptions under such.
If you are a signed applicant, you can request an exemption if you meet the criteria.

Reactions: pisces88

K7moda

Star Member
Sep 25, 2019
I have applied using pr visa as extended family member. I have contacted CBSA and IRCC previously. Both have stated that yes I am eligible under the exemption. I have also received the authorization letter on the basis of my pr visa.

ub93

Dec 19, 2018
The question is regarding Extended Family Visit (sibling).

Hi, can someone please guide me on what to write in the email for the purpose of the visit ?
They are asking " a detailed reason for travel ."
This is for my sister wanting to visit me in Canada. she already has visitor visa and have been visiting me every year since last 4 years.
Her purpose of visit is truely to meet me and my family as always.
In the same boat for my sister. She currently holds a visitor visa and is looking to travel to Canada to visit me. Any success on your sisters application? Also could you clarify what you ended up saying for the 'detailed reason for travel'? Thanks!

Reactions: elbarto94

elbarto94

Star Member
Jul 2, 2015
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
TORONTO
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-12-2017
LANDED..........
18-04-2018
How can I prove my extended family member is travelling for more than 15 days, if CIC has asked us not to book travel before authorization?

Salman Hasan

Star Member
Nov 15, 2019
visa
I have applied using pr visa as extended family member. I have contacted CBSA and IRCC previously. Both have stated that yes I am eligible under the exemption. I have also received the authorization letter on the basis of my pr visa.
Hi just a question did you have dependents with you PR visa application and did they also allow your dependents to travel in the authorization letter ? Thanks

K7moda

Star Member
Sep 25, 2019
Hi just a question did you have dependents with you PR visa application and did they also allow your dependents to travel in the authorization letter ? Thanks
Sorry but I didn't have dependants. But if ur dependants do not fulfil the definition of extended family members of an already landed pr you can land first and have them join you after. They would not need an authorisation then if they are ur immediate family and if you have adult children they can apply for extended family exemption after you land. Good luck!

Salman Hasan

Star Member
Nov 15, 2019
Sorry but I didn't have dependants. But if ur dependants do not fulfil the definition of extended family members of an already landed pr you can land first and have them join you after. They would not need an authorisation then if they are ur immediate family and if you have adult children they can apply for extended family exemption after you land. Good luck!
Thank you fo your quick response .. . so in my case my wife is the primary applicant and me and our 2 aged 6 and 4 are dependents ... she has extended family ( sister) a Canadian national... so you are saying she can go first ( after getting authorization letter) and once she gets the PR card we can join her without waiting for authorization letter ?

K7moda

Star Member
Sep 25, 2019
Thank you fo your quick response .. . so in my case my wife is the primary applicant and me and our 2 aged 6 and 4 are dependents ... she has extended family ( sister) a Canadian national... so you are saying she can go first ( after getting authorization letter) and once she gets the PR card we can join her without waiting for authorization letter ?
Yes after she lands with authorization you guys can join her as immediate family without authorization but make sure to have with you the documents reccomended by ircc like birth ceritificates, marriage certificate, landed copr, etc.

Last edited:

Salman Hasan

Star Member
Nov 15, 2019
Great thanks for the
Yes after she lands with authorization you guys can join her as immediate family without authorization but make sure to have with you the documents reccomended by ircc like birth ceritificates, marriage certificate, landed copr, etc.
great thanks for the response

Salman Hasan

Star Member
Nov 15, 2019
@K7moda sorry to bother you but will we have to wait till she gets the PR card which I think take a month or can we travel as soon as she land and the COPR is stamped

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
@K7moda sorry to bother you but will we have to wait till she gets the PR card which I think take a month or can we travel as soon as she land and the COPR is stamped
So your posts are confusing as you say your wife was primary applicant so were you and your children not included as accompanying your wife for PR ?

In another post you implied you had PPR request for FSW program.

Your wife as primary applicant obviously either has to land either first or at same time as any dependants with their COPRs. If the primary applicant lands first then the dependants can land separately later with their own COPRs

Or are you as dependants just planning to travel as visitors in which case you would all need TRVs to travel as immediate family members once your wife has landed as a PR.

Last edited:

Salman Hasan

Star Member
Nov 15, 2019
So your posts are confusing as you say your wife was primary applicant so were you and your children not included as accompanying your wife for PR ?

In another post you implied you had PPR request for FSW program.

Your wife as primary applicant obviously either has to land either first or at same time as any dependants with their COPRs. If the primary applicant lands first then the dependants can land separately later with their own COPRs

Or are you as dependants just planning to travel as visitors in which case you would all need TRVs to travel as immediate family members once your wife has landed as a PR.
everyone is included and everyone has the PR Visa and COPR issued in November 2020. however . the issue is traveling ..my wife's(Primary applicant) sister is there thus my wife can apply for the extended family option to get the authorization letter...

The understanding I got from the above discussions is that only she can travel and once she is there we can travel as her immediate family.

Having young kids its difficult for us that she travels first (without the kids) and then after her getting the PR card we can travel .. so my question was do we have to wait for her to physically get the PR card(which can take a month) or can travel as soon as her landing is done ..hope this clears the confusion