+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extend work permit and TRV

bp

Jun 25, 2010
Hi

My work permit and temporary resident visa (TRV) expires in October. I am about to apply for the extension online (0ne month in advance). I am confused whether I need to apply for both work permit and TRV at Vegreville AB or I need to sent to nearest visa office (buffallo) to receive TRV. I read Vegreville only issues work permit for those applying within Canada. In this case, I presume I need to send passport too!!

Secondly, I need a job offer letter that specifies job title, wages and working conditions. I am from LMO exempt academic field i.e. postdoc. Does the offer letter should specify that it is full time with certain hours. I am in Ontario.

Any information in this regards is highly appreciated

Regards,
bp

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

bp said:
Hi

My work permit and temporary resident visa (TRV) expires in October. I am about to apply for the extension online (0ne month in advance). I am confused whether I need to apply for both work permit and TRV at Vegreville AB or I need to sent to nearest visa office (buffallo) to receive TRV. I read Vegreville only issues work permit for those applying within Canada. In this case, I presume I need to send passport too!!

Secondly, I need a job offer letter that specifies job title, wages and working conditions. I am from LMO exempt academic field i.e. postdoc. Does the offer letter should specify that it is full time with certain hours. I am in Ontario.

Any information in this regards is highly appreciated

Regards,
bp
1. Go back read the instruction package again. You apply for a new work permit at Vegreville, you don't send the passport, just copies if required.
2. Once you have a new work permit, then you apply for a TRV at one of the Canadian offices in the US.
3. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/fw/fw01-eng.pdf page 68 for the requirements.

bp

Jun 25, 2010
Thank you PMM for the link. The link cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5553E7.asp says one can file extension for work permit but does not mention anything about TRV. My TRV and work permit they both expire at the same time. As you suggested, shall I get work permit from Vegreville AB first and send buffalo for TRV. This will cost me two application fees, right? When I applied my first work permit from Detroit, I got TRV and work permit with a single fee.

Can one has valid work permit but not necessary need TRV if not travelling outside of Canada as like in the United States?

Thank you,
bp