+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extend Study Permit or apply for PWGP?

weaseal

Jan 17, 2016
Hi all,

My wife is graduating from a university in Canada in June. Her study permit and my work permit expire on the last day of the school term (end of April). We want to stay in Canada through her graduation (middle of June) and then beyond hopefully for many years to come. Is it possible for her to apply to the PWGP at the end of April even though she doesn't have the graduation ceremony until June? Or should we somehow extend the study permit to bridge the April-June gap, and then do the PWGP after June?

Thanks in advance.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

weaseal said:
Hi all,

My wife is graduating from a university in Canada in June. Her study permit and my work permit expire on the last day of the school term (end of April). We want to stay in Canada through her graduation (middle of June) and then beyond hopefully for many years to come. Is it possible for her to apply to the PWGP at the end of April even though she doesn't have the graduation ceremony until June? Or should we somehow extend the study permit to bridge the April-June gap, and then do the PWGP after June?

Thanks in advance.

1. Don't wait for graduation ceremony. You must apply for PGWP within 90 days of receiving a passing letter or transcript.

hell911

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Graduation ceremony is just a ceremony. After you have finished the studies, passed all the subjects in April, get the letter from your school stating that you have finished your studies, they will give it to you. Tell them you are gonna apply for PGWP. After you get the letter, apply for PGWP.

And while waiting for PGWP, you can remain in Canada until decision has been made even if your study permit and visa expires.

Jaymin007

Oct 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
weaseal said:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
I would suggest apply study permit extension now with letter of explanation stating about your situation and requesting extra 90 day study permit after finishing course to collect documents and apply for PGWP.

Hope this work out for you.