+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extend study permit, or apply for PGWP?

liliya

Jan 5, 2015
Hey guys!
So my friend is in two year diploma program and has a study permit expiring August 2015. Her last semester was supposed to be winter 2015, and she was planning to graduate this June, so she had plenty of time to apply for PSWM. I should mention that her program has summer co-op term between two years of studies. But due to personal reasons she couldn't work this summer, so she decided to do co-op in summer 2015 (her college was okay with that). Co-op term in until mid-October, and now there is a problem with her status which expires two month before that. She could easily meet co-op requirements even in July, but college would not let her graduate until October.
So now there is a question what should she do? Extend her study permit? Her co-op work permit expires same date, should she extend it too? It seems like a reasonable idea, but it seems strange to extend only for two month, and I am not sure how immigration officer would see this. Apply for study permit and co-op work permit separately or combine them in one application? Or try to apply for post graduate WP before study permit expires? I heard stories that applications get denied if there is no letter of graduation.
Also, co-op term is still considered as study process so study permit is required, right?
I really want to help her but have no knowledge in these areas. Any comments, ideas, and suggestion would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!