+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extend stay vs submit PR paperwork

sunnynoon

Jan 10, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Another question - originally I was going to wait until the Medical was requested because I was going to apply inland.
Can I still wait until the Medical is requested? Or should I do it prior to submitting the application. I would really like to submit the PR application ASAP - all I am waiting for right now is the marriage certificate to arrive in the mail.

But if I also have to have the medical for outland - then it will be some time before I can get an appt.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
Doesn't matter about your return ticket. If they didn't give you a deadline to leave (they give you an official document that tells you when you have to leave), you have 6 months, no need to call anyone to confirm it.

I also agree with the others who have said you should apply outland. Ottawa averages about 8 months right now, start to finish. You won't even get the OWP with inland for 11 months, then it's another 8 months for PR after that. Maintaining your status during an outland app is simple; there are many Americans who have stayed as visitors in Canada throughout the whole process, some for years. Mid-March 2014, submit an online extension of stay. Ask for a one year extension, include proof of the PR app and financial support (spouse's payslips or savings).
I thought the process for Americans applying Inland was estimated to take much longer than that. From what I've been seeing, it's ~ 11 months for stage 1 approval (AIP) and another 18-22 months for stage 2 (thanks to the efficiency and `speed' of the beloved US Government). :)

I can only dream of having this process `complete' in 19 months total. *sigh*

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Ponga said:
I thought the process for Americans applying Inland was estimated to take much longer than that. From what I've been seeing, it's ~ 11 months for stage 1 approval (AIP) and another 18-22 months for stage 2 (thanks to the efficiency and `speed' of the beloved US Government). :)

what the heck timeline are you looking at??? True, it is listed as 11 months for stage 1, but only 8 months for stage 2, most 2012 applicants (nov/dec) have been receiving both stage 1 and 2 at the same time, so less than 12 months total ...

What does the US gov't inefficiency have to do with Canada immigration?

I guess I am just confused about what it is you are trying to state here ....

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ponga said:

It looks like you are combining the inland and outland processing times in some weird way.

Inland is posted at 11 months for stage 1 and 8 months for stage 2.

Outland is posted at 1 month for stage 1 and 18-22 months for files being processed in New York and Los Angeles.

However, all new American outland files are currently being processed through Ottawa. Ottawa is posting 14 months for processing but is currently averaging around 7-8 months based on the forum spreadsheet.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
It looks like you are combining the inland and outland processing times in some weird way.

Inland is posted at 11 months for stage 1 and 8 months for stage 2.

Outland is posted at 1 month for stage 1 and 18-22 months for files being processed in New York and Los Angeles.

However, all new American outland files are currently being processed through Ottawa. Ottawa is posting 14 months for processing but is currently averaging around 7-8 months based on the forum spreadsheet.
Yes...that weird way of combining the processing time is from information overload!! While trying to educate myself, I've added way more stress to an already
tense process.

I mistakenly thought that the stage 2 processing would NOT begin until the sponsor had been approved and that the 18-22 months would begin at the end of stage 1, so I was seeing them as two separate processes. Believe it or not, my IQ is > 3.14...albeit not as high as I had thought. :)
Needless to say, I'm pleased to see that I was mistaken.

Thanks...truly.

sunnynoon

Jan 10, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Another question - originally I was going to wait until the Medical was requested because I was going to apply inland.
Can I still wait until the Medical is requested? Or should I do it prior to submitting the application. I would really like to submit the PR application ASAP - all I am waiting for right now is the marriage certificate to arrive in the mail.

But if I also have to have the medical for outland - then it will be some time before I can get an appt.

[/quote]

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alurra71 said:
what the heck timeline are you looking at??? True, it is listed as 11 months for stage 1, but only 8 months for stage 2, most 2012 applicants (nov/dec) have been receiving both stage 1 and 2 at the same time, so less than 12 months total ...

What does the US gov't inefficiency have to do with Canada immigration?

I guess I am just confused about what it is you are trying to state here ....
As mentioned in my follow-up to the other member that corrected me, I was mistaken about the overall timeline.

My comment about my own government, is admittedly misdirected. Besides the FBI PCC that is required, I'm not sure that there will even be a federal employee working when they [Los Angeles or New York office] get my paperwork, since the government may be closed again, at the drop of a hat. It's a bit tongue in cheek, I know, but I'm not quite as proud to be an American as I once was.

Does the paperwork in LA/Buffalo go through the Canadian Embassy and never see a desk that's attached to a US Federal employee? I only ask, because I do not understand the entire PR process, clearly.

Prior to meeting my common-law partner, I wondered why anyone would leave their country to be with someone for `love', and I'm a very romantic person. Now...I get it.

Thanks for your reply.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
FYI, this is where I found the `confusing' information:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/fc-spouses.asp#west

It states that:
"The tables below indicate application processing times at Canadian visa offices once Step 1 has been completed. The times are based on how long it took to process 80 percent of all cases between October 1, 2012 to September 30, 2013. Processing times are subject to change."

The NY Visa office shows 22 months, while Los Angeles shows 26 months.

The page doesn't indicate anywhere that this is for Outland applicants only. :'(

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ponga said:
Does the paperwork in LA/Buffalo go through the Canadian Embassy and never see a desk that's attached to a US Federal employee? I only ask, because I do not understand the entire PR process, clearly.
It is a decision on whether to allow someone to live in Canada, nothing to do with the US government.

Ponga said:
The page doesn't indicate anywhere that this is for Outland applicants only. :'(
The fact that it lists offices outside of Canada is what indicates it's for outland applicants.