+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extend parent's stay

Rustamjan

Star Member
Dec 9, 2013
Hi everybody,

You might have read this issue before. My mom is currently in Canada on visitor visa with 6 month stay (this is her first visit). I am not eligible to apply for sponsorship yet due to income requirements. I would love to extend her stay with me in Canada because she has no one to take care in the home country and getting old. I am aware about couple options - request an extension of stay as this is her first visit or apply for a super visa. Can you please help me with the following:

1. Which link do I use to request an extension of her stay on visitor visa. I have seen few links and was kind of confused.

2. Can I apply for super visa for my mom while she is in Canada on visitor visa?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
You can’t apply for a supervisa within Canada
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/parent-grandparent-super-visa/eligibility.html

Per the government
Applying for H&C consideration is an exceptional measure – it is not simply another means of applying for permanent resident status in Canada.
Applying for H & C and if it’s refused can only possibly complicate any future requests for a visa for your mother
Wanting your mother around for your children isn’t a compelling reason to apply for H & C
You had mentioned you have a sibling back in your home country , why doesn’t your mother go live closer to them, if you have concerns that no body can take care of her ?
And as noted by another member you hit the immigration jackpot by not meeting R/O and as well sponsoring a child while not meeting R/O
There is a program to use for sponsoring your mother, it’s called P & G
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/sponsorship-parents-grandparents.html
But I believe you are all ready familiar with the program and income requirements for it.
As well your mother only arrived mid November 2018, and by December 2018 you were contemplating using the H & C program to keep her here
Using the H & C program is not meant as a substitute for the available programs the government has in place for people wanting to sponsor their parents

Eventually if you keep extending your mother’s visa, the government will refuse the extensions, since as I’m sure you understand, she’s meant only to be a “ visitor “ here, not to live here long term

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanna and jddd