+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extend Open Work permit

martijnnen

Mar 10, 2019
Hello,
I have an open work permit atm that will expire in June 2019, i would like to extend this permit.
After hours on the government of Canada website i find myself kind of lost.
There is no option to extend a Open work permit (there is for a work permit), so does my current employer have to apply for it?
My question is, what are my options to stay further stay and work in Canada.
Thanks in advance!
Greetings

martijnnen

Mar 10, 2019
You have too give more details on your open work permit , what type is it ? How’d you obtain it ?
Open work permit meaning i am unrestricted to an employer.
i can work for who ever, where ever in canada. and can change at any time. I did obtain the OWP via the International Experience Canada program.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Open work permit meaning i am unrestricted to an employer.
i can work for who ever, where ever in canada. and can change at any time. I did obtain the OWP via the International Experience Canada program.
IEC work permits cannot be extended.

You have two options if you want to remain in Canada longer and work. The first is to apply for another work permit through the IEC program if your country qualifies for more than one participation. If you qualify for a second participation, you will need to enter the IEC pool again and wait to be selected like you did the first time. Otherwise the only other option is for your employer to obtain an approved LMIA and give you a job offer so that you can apply for a closed work permit.

martijnnen

Mar 10, 2019
IEC work permits cannot be extended.

You have two options if you want to remain in Canada longer and work. The first is to apply for another work permit through the IEC program if your country qualifies for more than one participation. If you qualify for a second participation, you will need to enter the IEC pool again and wait to be selected like you did the first time. Otherwise the only other option is for your employer to obtain an approved LMIA and give you a job offer so that you can apply for a closed work permit.
Thank you so much for your response Scylla!