+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extend a visitor visa while waiting?

dmurrman

Dec 5, 2018
Hi all, my spouse entered Canada under dual intent, a 6 month visitor visa. It'll run out in late January, a month before the estimated completion date of our application. Has anyone here ever extended a visitor visa for their partner? Is it tricky? Thanks for any tips

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Then yes, you should apply for an extension to maintain status. But if you think it's only a month between the status expiring and the approval of the PR application, provided she has no intention of leaving Canada for any reason, you could just carefully wait it out... though technically she'd be overstaying.

Reactions: dmurrman

dmurrman

Dec 5, 2018
Yeah it's at the LVO so I can't trust their estimate lol. We'll apply for an extension, thanks for the help!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all, my spouse entered Canada under dual intent, a 6 month visitor visa. It'll run out in late January, a month before the estimated completion date of our application. Has anyone here ever extended a visitor visa for their partner? Is it tricky? Thanks for any tips
Nothing tricky. Put the reason as waiting for sponsorship app to be approved and include your most recent app status. As long as s/he has sufficient proof of funds (or your financial support) to support an extended stay, there should be no issue.

Reactions: dmurrman

Vendi

Star Member
Apr 26, 2018
Nothing tricky. Put the reason as waiting for sponsorship app to be approved and include your most recent app status. As long as s/he has sufficient proof of funds (or your financial support) to support an extended stay, there should be no issue.
Hey hope you can also help.me out am going to apply for an extension. Reason to stay for 1year to qualify for PR under common law, and my fiance will be having an operation during that time when my visa will expire can I also include that in the letter of extension that I will.also be taking care of my fiance after his operation coz he has no body to look after him , and any other supporting documents to include

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey hope you can also help.me out am going to apply for an extension. Reason to stay for 1year to qualify for PR under common law, and my fiance will be having an operation during that time when my visa will expire can I also include that in the letter of extension that I will.also be taking care of my fiance after his operation coz he has no body to look after him , and any other supporting documents to include
Skip any mention of the operation or caring for him. Stick to the goal of becoming common-law and applying for sponsorship. Include proof of finances to support the extended stay.