+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express entry work experience start date

hello2020

Star Member
Oct 8, 2019
Hello everyone!

Got a quick question regarding the start date to count correctly 1-year experience.

I came to Canada on a closed WP in 2020, but because of Covid situation company was laid off most of the staff including me. Then I got a new job offer and LMIA from a new employer and applied for a new WP.

As my previous work permit was valid, I submitted a request to start work for a new employer under the following policy: Public policy on exemptions to work permit conditions when changing employment: COVID-19 program delivery
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/work-permit/changing-employment.html

According to that policy, on October 3, 2020 I got an authorization letter from IRCC to start work for my new employer until a determination was made on my new WP application. I started to work for a new employer on that day straight away. Then on November 20, 2020 finally I got my existing WP approved.

What will be the eligible start date of employment in my case? I would say it is October 3, 2020 as I can prove by attaching LoE that I was legally authorized by IRCC to work since that time.

Any help is super appreciated!