+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express entry with common law partner

HoneymoonSG

Sep 15, 2018
Hey guys
Me and my partner are living together in Canada since 22 months. I got my pgwp 3 months back, I did not mention common law in pgwp. My partner got his pgwp a month ago, and he also mentioned that he is single in pgwp. We are now planning to apply for express entry together as I have 3 years experience back home which gives us enough points for express entry .
I would like to know if there will be any issues since we did not mention common law in pgwp but mentioning it in the express entry ?
Also, if anyone else applied to express entry with common law partner, can I get some tips on how to prove common law relation and what extra documents are required?

EE456

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
Hey guys
Me and my partner are living together in Canada since 22 months. I got my pgwp 3 months back, I did not mention common law in pgwp. My partner got his pgwp a month ago, and he also mentioned that he is single in pgwp. We are now planning to apply for express entry together as I have 3 years experience back home which gives us enough points for express entry .
I would like to know if there will be any issues since we did not mention common law in pgwp but mentioning it in the express entry ?
Also, if anyone else applied to express entry with common law partner, can I get some tips on how to prove common law relation and what extra documents are required?
Would you get enough points if each of you applied separately ?

It shouldn't be that big of an issue but you would have to explain why.

Everything and anything that proves your relationship and having lived together for at least 12 months.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So just for clarification you both applied for PGWPs and signed a solemn legal declaration that at the time you applied that you were both single and not in a common law relationship thereby in effect committing a misrepresentation of your actual status ?

Now you want to apply for EE claiming retrospectively the time before your PGWP application that you have been common law expecting IRCC to overlook your misrepresentation as single in your PGWP applications when you try to claim the common law relationship actually existed before your PGWP applications ?

Any type of misrepresentation can be an issue as far as IRCC is concerned given there are no excuses for not being honest in any dealings with immigration especially in signing a declaration that all information provided was complete and truthful.

Not providing any advice or solution but probably best to think very carefully about how you claim any common law credit when applying for EE now the damage has been done.

Last edited:

HoneymoonSG

Sep 15, 2018
So just for clarification you both applied for PGWPs and signed a solemn legal declaration that at the time you applied that you were both single and not in a common law relationship thereby in effect committing a misrepresentation of your actual status ?

Now you want to apply for EE claiming retrospectively the time before your PGWP application that you have been common law expecting IRCC to overlook your misrepresentation as single in your PGWP applications when you try to claim the common law relationship actually existed before your PGWP applications ?

Any type of misrepresentation can be an issue as far as IRCC is concerned given there are no excuses for not being honest in any dealings with immigration especially in signing a declaration that all information provided was complete and truthful.

Not providing any advice or solution but probably best to think very carefully about how you claim any common law credit when applying for EE now the damage has been done.

We’re unaware of this common law concept prior to reasearching for PR. From where we came from, it’s single until marriage. Would it help if we marry now and apply as such instead of using common law relationship. We’ve been living together since we moved in to Canada and we didn’t deliberately misrepresented our status.

EE456

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
We’re unaware of this common law concept prior to reasearching for PR. From where we came from, it’s single until marriage. Would it help if we marry now and apply as such instead of using common law relationship. We’ve been living together since we moved in to Canada and we didn’t deliberately misrepresented our status.
You haven't answered any of my questions and hence I'm unable help you. Good luck tho.

HoneymoonSG

Sep 15, 2018
Would you get enough points if each of you applied separately ?

It shouldn't be that big of an issue but you would have to explain why.

Everything and anything that proves your relationship and having lived together for at least 12 months.
Yes, we have enough points if we apply separately. But we’re thinking we can save on some money by using a single application.

EE456

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
I’m sorry. This threading is a bit perplexing. I don’t mean to not answer. I believe I answered it now above.
Not to worry. You're in this forum to get help, not to get scolded. You should be glad that those accusing of knowingly concealing facts in your application don't work as visa officers.

As to your questions, before I answer them, you need to know that by filing a single application you're not saving any money. You pay per applicant, not per application.

I would suggest you submit separate applications, of course as common-law. In your LOEs, explain as to why you had said in your PGWP that you were single. It is my understanding that you didn't benefit from stating you were single in your PGWP applications, so it's obvious that you had inadvertently said you were single.

Misrepresentation is an issue when you stand to benefit from it, when you knowingly lie about something.

Where are you from ?

Reactions: thandong19

thandong19

Oct 31, 2018
I am a similar situation as you. I am in the process of applying for PGWP ( we have lived with each other just about 12 months) and will apply for Express Entry as a couple later. Should I declare our relationship as Common-law when applying for PGWP?

What would happen if CIC asked for proof of our relationship but the proof I give will not be sufficient ( we only have bank statements stated that we live in the same address for 12 months)? Does it count as Misrepresentation?

Thank you