+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry - While self-employed, I moved countries (Work History, claiming points for foreign work). How to include in the work history?

Skyshaard

Feb 28, 2021
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
09-10-2022
Hi everyone,

I am soon applying for PR via EE and have a question regarding self-employment. I worked for a "Company" as a subcontractor at around 37.5h/week on average for over a year (July 2020 - August 2021) for which I am planning to claim foreign work experience points. My self-employment (sole proprietorship) is registered in the Czech Republic, however, I lived in Denmark for a certain period.

Lived in Denmark: July - Aug 2020
Lived in the Czech Republic: Aug 2020 - Aug 2021.

How would you go about entering this into "Work History"? Even though I worked for the same company, should I divide this into two rows based on the country where I lived in?

I feel like it would be the way to go and I can always explain the situation in the Letter of Explanation. My only slight concern is that I will have to upload a "proof" after ITA for both experiences, even though it was for the same company, which means, my "proof" of work would be duplicated to both fields.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Sky

Lasip

Jun 7, 2020
Hi everyone,

I am soon applying for PR via EE and have a question regarding self-employment. I worked for a "Company" as a subcontractor at around 37.5h/week on average for over a year (July 2020 - August 2021) for which I am planning to claim foreign work experience points. My self-employment (sole proprietorship) is registered in the Czech Republic, however, I lived in Denmark for a certain period.

Lived in Denmark: July - Aug 2020
Lived in the Czech Republic: Aug 2020 - Aug 2021.

How would you go about entering this into "Work History"? Even though I worked for the same company, should I divide this into two rows based on the country where I lived in?

I feel like it would be the way to go and I can always explain the situation in the Letter of Explanation. My only slight concern is that I will have to upload a "proof" after ITA for both experiences, even though it was for the same company, which means, my "proof" of work would be duplicated to both fields.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Sky
What is important is where the company you worked for is based/registered.
You can be working for Google Germany while leaving in England, it does not matter.
You will need to provide invoices that were paid by the company and the corresponding bank statement + tax report (NOA)

Skyshaard

Feb 28, 2021
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
09-10-2022
What is important is where the company you worked for is based/registered.
You can be working for Google Germany while leaving in England, it does not matter.
You will need to provide invoices that were paid by the company and the corresponding bank statement + tax report (NOA)
This doesn't seem to answer my question at all.

Why would it matter where the company is located since I am claiming points for self-employment that was registered in the Czech Republic? I am not sure how to divide the work experience as I lived in 2 different countries.

sgoldsmith

Nov 20, 2020
This doesn't seem to answer my question at all.

Why would it matter where the company is located since I am claiming points for self-employment that was registered in the Czech Republic? I am not sure how to divide the work experience as I lived in 2 different countries.
Since you worked for the same company, I would list it as one entry.

If you have to indicate the country (filled those forms almost 2 years ago, so memory not very clear), use Czech Republic since this is where your company is registered.

You will get the opportunity (and you will have) to disclose the various countries where you have lived in the "Address history" as well as in the "Travel History")

Skyshaard

Feb 28, 2021
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
09-10-2022
Since you worked for the same company, I would list it as one entry.

If you have to indicate the country (filled those forms almost 2 years ago, so memory not very clear), use Czech Republic since this is where your company is registered.

You will get the opportunity (and you will have) to disclose the various countries where you have lived in the "Address history" as well as in the "Travel History")
Thank you, this is helpful. I am still contemplating the best way to go about it because both options have their own pros and cons.

Keep it in the Czech Republic only - As I lived in Denmark, I will have to explain that my business was registered in the Czech Republic and I remotely worked on it from Denmark. Might raise some questions why my address was in Denmark but I include "self-employed" in the Czech Republic in my history.

Separate to Denmark and Czech Republic - This would mean I would have to provide separate docs to prove the hours in the Work History.

Hopefully, there are a few other members that could provide their experience/thoughts.

Skyshaard

Feb 28, 2021
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
09-10-2022
Bumping this up to see if anyone else has any experience/recommendations.