+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry vs New PR pathways

Frisk

Feb 19, 2016
Toronto
Hi guys,

On May 15th I'll be eligible for CEC with a score of 471 points, which right now should grant me an ITA. However, I won't be able to apply until the week of May 24th since the draw for the week I become eligible falls on Wednesday/Thursday and May 15th is a Saturday...which means that by the time of the ITA I wouldn't have completed 1 year of work experience.

On the other hand, I'm eligible for the international student pathway and since I was anticipating applying for CEC before the streams were announced I'll already have all of my documents ready to apply on May 6th.

If I apply using the new pathway, I get to apply 3 weeks early and if the processing times are similar I might get PR by September/October considering I have an extremely simple case (no PCC needed, only Canadian education and work experience, single, etc). CEC however, is more consistent with processing times and there's plenty of information online. However, if the new stream is processed PNP-style and takes 22 months, then I know it's worth it to apply later on.

My rush to get PR fast is that I'm getting married in October, and if my application is still in process I'll have to add my spouse and that'll take longer for both of us and she won't be able to work (she's abroad right now, so no BOWP).