+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry Supporting Documents: what is Letter of Employment?

karan-91

Star Member
Jan 31, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I got an ITA in last night's draw. Got through the questionnaire fairly quick. I'm now at the stage where I've got to upload support documents.

I'm thrown off by one of the documents being asked: "Letter of Employment". There isn't a tooltip for this document so I don't know what CIC wants. See attached screenshot.

Screenshot: pho.to/9WmZI

The first four employment records include a letter of employment for the position I am currently in.

The offer of employment is my offer of employment from my most recent employer (for whom I've also attached my employment record as mentioned in the line above).

So, what is my Letter of Employment?

Please discuss matters only relevant to this topic in this thread. I don't want this thread to be about the who's, what's and why's of Express Entry in general. Thank you!

karan-91

Star Member
Jan 31, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I figured this one out.

Basically, on the questionnaire, for the following question, I answered "Yes":

Does the candidate have a job offer in Canada?

I didn't understand at first that this meant that it had to be a job offer backed by an LMIA. It's not immediately obviously because there is another question at the end of the section that asks if the job offer is supported by an LMIA.

I have since changed my answer to "No" which has lead to two less supporting documents being asked for: Letter of Employment and Offer of Employment.

lixiao288

Oct 15, 2015
karan-91 said:
I figured this one out.

Basically, on the questionnaire, for the following question, I answered "Yes":

Does the candidate have a job offer in Canada?

I didn't understand at first that this meant that it had to be a job offer backed by an LMIA. It's not immediately obviously because there is another question at the end of the section that asks if the job offer is supported by an LMIA.

I have since changed my answer to "No" which has lead to two less supporting documents being asked for: Letter of Employment and Offer of Employment.
Hi, I have the same problem also. But I do have a LMIA. So does it mean that I combine my LMIA and offer of employment as one file. Then under both offer of employment and letter of employment I upload the same document? They are asking for the same thing? Thank you!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
in Express Entry, "job offer" = "valid job offer" has a very specific meaning -
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/offer.asp

You only need a job offer letter if you have the LMIA-backed 600 bonus points. It is an offer of "future" permanent, non-seasonal, full-time non employment contingent upon your obtaining PR status.

A letter of employment = reference letter = experience letter testifies to PAST work experience. See the section, "Proof of Work Epxerience" -
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp

meenujjoy31

Nov 1, 2021
in Express Entry, "job offer" = "valid job offer" has a very specific meaning -
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/offer.asp

You only need a job offer letter if you have the LMIA-backed 600 bonus points. It is an offer of "future" permanent, non-seasonal, full-time non employment contingent upon your obtaining PR status.

A letter of employment = reference letter = experience letter testifies to PAST work experience. See the section, "Proof of Work Epxerience" -
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp
Wrong, letter of employment is not reference letter