+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry Supporting Documents: not being asked for Birth Certificate?

karan-91

Star Member
Jan 31, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I got an ITA in the 11th draw. Got through the questionnaire fairly quick. I'm now at the stage where I've got to upload support documents.

I am surprised that I am not being asked for my birth certificate. Here's why:

Back in mid 2014, before the days of Express Entry, I applied for PR under CEC. At that time, my documents failed the completeness check because my birth certificate wasn't adequately attested/notarized. Ever since, I have put in considerable amount of effort to make sure I get this one document right.

Fast forward one year, I am applying under Express Entry (CEC) only to find that I am not being asked for this document.

Screenshot: pho.to/9WmZI

I don't know whether to be happy or sad ;)

DoubleS

Nov 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 5, 2014
Doc's Request.
CCC Jan 8, 2015
LANDED..........
Currently in Canada
karan-91 said:
I got an ITA in the 11th draw. Got through the questionnaire fairly quick. I'm now at the stage where I've got to upload support documents.

I am surprised that I am not being asked for my birth certificate. Here's why:

Back in mid 2014, before the days of Express Entry, I applied for PR under CEC. At that time, my documents failed the completeness check because my birth certificate wasn't adequately attested/notarized. Ever since, I have put in considerable amount of effort to make sure I get this one document right.

Fast forward one year, I am applying under Express Entry (CEC) only to find that I am not being asked for this document.

Screenshot: pho.to/9WmZI

I don't know whether to be happy or sad ;)
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp
"Copy of birth certificate or other equivalent document
Purpose

To prove the dependent children’s relationship to the parents

Document requirements

This document is required only if the applicant identifies dependent children.
The document must be one of the following:
birth certificate;
equivalent document from birth country; or
letter of explanation (where no birth certificate is available in the country).
Individuals who must submit this documentation

All the dependent children, including non-accompanying"

mohitsetiya87

Feb 10, 2016
Hi Karan,

Can you please confirm your CRS and were you required to submit Birth Certificate?

It's Urgent, please respond.

Aragorn165

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2016
Nomination.....
03-11-2015
AOR Received.
04-03-2016
Passport Req..
02-09-2016
mohitsetiya87 said:
Hi Karan,

Can you please confirm your CRS and were you required to submit Birth Certificate?

It's Urgent, please respond.
You do not need to submit the birth certificate anymore.

mohitsetiya87

Feb 10, 2016
Aragorn165 said:
You do not need to submit the birth certificate anymore.
Thanks Buddy

I just want to confirm the source of this information, I mean how do you know about it as my consultant keeps pushing me to arrange this document which I am unable to do.

Please don't mind me, I am way too confused :(

Aragorn165

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2016
Nomination.....
03-11-2015
AOR Received.
04-03-2016
Passport Req..
02-09-2016
mohitsetiya87 said:
Thanks Buddy

I just want to confirm the source of this information, I mean how do you know about it as my consultant keeps pushing me to arrange this document which I am unable to do.

Please don't mind me, I am way too confused :(
When you receive an ITA, and you fill in the online application form, you are provided with a personalized checklist- the checklist mentions all the documents you need to submit. The birth certificate is not a part of this checklist.

mohitsetiya87

Feb 10, 2016
Aragorn165 said:
When you receive an ITA, and you fill in the online application form, you are provided with a personalized checklist- the checklist mentions all the documents you need to submit. The birth certificate is not a part of this checklist.
Oh Thanks :)

I am waiting for the ITA, and hopefully won't be required to submit Birth Certificate :)

Although my Parents are trying hard to get me one, just in case. Thanks A Lot :)

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Quoting an earlier post from the same thread below with the relevant portion italicized - Birth certificate NOT required for PA/spouse/common-law partner.

Ask your consultant to 'Google' - it really works!

"Copy of birth certificate or other equivalent document

Purpose

To prove the dependent children’s relationship to the parents

Document requirements

This document is required only if the applicant identifies dependent children.
The document must be one of the following:
birth certificate;
equivalent document from birth country; or
letter of explanation (where no birth certificate is available in the country).
Individuals who must submit this documentation

All the dependent children, including non-accompanying"
Source ---> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp

varun22

May 26, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-01-2016
AOR Received.
28-01-2016<br>Medicals Passed - 29-01-2016 <br>Ghost Mail - 31-01-2016
Passport Req..
22-06-2016
Consultants are new to Express Entry and don't know much about it.

I'm glad that I chose to go through the process myself than hiring a consultant.

And I must say this forum is the sole reason I had confidence that I can do it myself.

Thanks Guys!!!

Aragorn165

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2016
Nomination.....
03-11-2015
AOR Received.
04-03-2016
Passport Req..
02-09-2016
mohitsetiya87 said:
Oh Thanks :)

I am waiting for the ITA, and hopefully won't be required to submit Birth Certificate :)

Although my Parents are trying hard to get me one, just in case. Thanks A Lot :)
You won't be required to submit a birth certificate, no. You only need it if you have children. And even then, if it is missing, a Letter of Explanation can be attached to demonstrate an extenuating or legitimate reason for its absence. So don't worry at all.

azeemq

Oct 10, 2016
I got my ITA on March 1st 2017 and I checked my checklist. There is no birth certificate requirement for adults. For my kids the checklist mentions birth certificate.

Usmanjamil

Oct 13, 2014
I got my ITA on March 1st 2017 and I checked my checklist. There is no birth certificate requirement for adults. For my kids the checklist mentions birth certificate.
Hi Azeem,

Can you Re-confirm to me that whether Birth certificate for yourself or Single guys like me is required or not ?

I am asking you because up-till now i am sure your case must have been decided.

I also received ITA in December Draw and the consultant is continuously pushing me to bring Birth Certificate, which is a big hassle, cuz i have to travel down to Pakistan to Get one !

Please advise

Histrionics

Nov 22, 2017
India
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-10-2017
Nomination.....
No
AOR Received.
31-03-2018
Med's Done....
21-03-2018
Passport Req..
21-06-2018
Bi
Hi Azeem,

Can you Re-confirm to me that whether Birth certificate for yourself or Single guys like me is required or not ?

I am asking you because up-till now i am sure your case must have been decided.

I also received ITA in December Draw and the consultant is continuously pushing me to bring Birth Certificate, which is a big hassle, cuz i have to travel down to Pakistan to Get one !

Please advise
As far as I know, birth certificate for single or even married applicants is not required. It is only required if you have a dependent minor child and in that case also only the child's birth certificate is needed.

For PNP nomination, some provinces request for birth certificate. If that's not applicable to you, you don't need to provide it, that's what my understanding of the process is.

Usmanjamil

Oct 13, 2014
Bi

As far as I know, birth certificate for single or even married applicants is not required. It is only required if you have a dependent minor child and in that case also only the child's birth certificate is needed.

For PNP nomination, some provinces request for birth certificate. If that's not applicable to you, you don't need to provide it, that's what my understanding of the process is.
Thanks Man

Reactions: Histrionics

dimpal_singh

Jun 6, 2018
I received my ITA on 25th July 2018, and my list of documents too does not ask for my birth certificate. I have a dependent daughter and her birth certificate is asked to be attached, that I will surely do.