+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express entry - Spouse

Nickstar90

Oct 13, 2020
Hi everyone,

I'd like to address a couple of quick questions I have regarding the Express Entry - Comprehensive Ranking System:

My common-law partner and I plan to register for the pool soon. We both have similarly strong profiles (+-10 points) meaning we surpass the minimum CRS score.
Would you still recommend to apply with two different profiles - one with me being the main applicant and one vice versa?
If I'm the main applicant: Would my common-law partner have the same legal status in Canada, even if for example we separated? Or would one always be legally linked to the other person?

Last but not least I'm wondering whether you can choose the province in Canada if you receive an invitation to apply for permant residency without being part of a provincial nomination program?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,

Nick

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,

I'd like to address a couple of quick questions I have regarding the Express Entry - Comprehensive Ranking System:

My common-law partner and I plan to register for the pool soon. We both have similarly strong profiles (+-10 points) meaning we surpass the minimum CRS score.
Would you still recommend to apply with two different profiles - one with me being the main applicant and one vice versa?
If I'm the main applicant: Would my common-law partner have the same legal status in Canada, even if for example we separated? Or would one always be legally linked to the other person?

Last but not least I'm wondering whether you can choose the province in Canada if you receive an invitation to apply for permant residency without being part of a provincial nomination program?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,

Nick
Yes, you can both set up a profile with the other individual as a dependent. Both of you will have the same legal status and your status won't be lined to each other. If you receive PR directly through Express Entry, you can have the intent to live and work in any province apart from Quebec.

Note that you need to score 470+ CRS points right now to be selected from the pool.

Reactions: Nickstar90

Nickstar90

Oct 13, 2020
Thanks a lot Scylla for your quick reply :)

Does this mean in return that the only way to live and/or work in Quebec would be through Quebec's own nomination program?

(which seems to take a lot of time with 15 to 17 months indicated on the official website as compared to less than 6 months for other provinces - if I'm not mistaken)

Nick