+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry Skilled Worker

Duffer500

Apr 11, 2015
Hi there,

I am filling out my online forms for a Skilled Worker Application following an Express Entry Invitation...

I have been working in Canada 2 years. I have also been in a relationship in Canada for 2 years.

When completing the forms I select that I am in a "common-law relationship" with a Canadian citizen

It then continues to ask if me and / or my partner have an children...which is she does.

So then it creates sections for each of her 2 girls, which ask about their family...giving options of brothers, sisters, step parents, etc...
I'm a bit wary of this given things aren't on "good terms" with their father / step mother...

Later in the questions it asks if my spouse is accompanying me to Canada....which of course she isn't given she is Canadian. Hence it all seems irrelevant.

Given this is not a spousal application, the whole application seems a bit weird in the sense that the questions are worded as if I'm brining a spouse and her children to Canada from the UK.

Has anyone any experience in this?

Any advice appreciated.

I of course intend to be entirely honest, but don't want to confuse things in the application.

Gustcan

Star Member
Jul 22, 2013
How to do you plan to prove your " Common-in-law" relationship? I am not sure of your situation however if you are common in law then CIC expects you to be living under the same roof or have multiple things in common. If its a relationship which hasn't yet reached to that stage then I would not put Common-in law. You will have to prove your relationship and if you can do it then thats the way to move forward.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=347&t=14

Thanks!

hjoelle

Apr 13, 2015
I am married to a Canadian Citizen and I was also a bit confused when it asked me if I was bringing my spouse to Canada when he is Canadian. According to my MP and CIC agent, they told me to just upload documents stating that their in fact Canadians- birth certificate, drivers license to prove their status and write a letter of explanation.