+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry- Sibling Points- Brother in law

Pearl77

Apr 29, 2018
Hello all,
My husband and I are applying for an Express entry under the Federal skilled worker program. I'm the main applicant. He has a brother who is a Canadian Citizen with the Canadian passport.
Are we able to take the additional Sibling points since he's my brother in law and my husband is included inj the application as well?
I understood that "brother by marriage" can mean brother in law.

If yes, what will be the proof of relationship? Is it Birth certificates of both of them+ Brother in Law passport+ My marriage certificate?

K_gore

Apr 23, 2018
Yes - that counts. You will need to show proof of the relationship between your husband and his brother. I proved this relationship with my sister by presenting our birth certificates, which showed the same parents. You may also want to upload your marriage certificate alongside to prove your relationship with your husband. Explain the relationship in your LOE so they know what they are looking at.

You also need to provide proof of residency. For my sister, I provided her driving license scan to show she is a resident of the province I want to go to but I also provided her passport scan to show she has citizenship.

arkofcovenant

Oct 19, 2019
Hello everyone,
My husband and I are applying for an Express entry under the Federal skilled worker program. I'm the main applicant. My husband's brother (same parents) has a sister-in-law (i.e., blood-sister of my husband brother's wife - from same parents) who is a Canadian Citizen.
Can we take the additional Sibling points with this relationship - "sister in law of my husband's brother" because my husband is included in the application .

If yes, what will be the proof of relationship?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,
My husband and I are applying for an Express entry under the Federal skilled worker program. I'm the main applicant. My husband's brother (same parents) has a sister-in-law (i.e., blood-sister of my husband brother's wife - from same parents) who is a Canadian Citizen.
Can we take the additional Sibling points with this relationship - "sister in law of my husband's brother" because my husband is included in the application .

If yes, what will be the proof of relationship?
No. Points are only given for siblings. A siser in law is not a sibling.

Oct 19, 2019
No. Points are only given for siblings. A siser in law is not a sibling.
p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Helvetica Neue'} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; min-height: 14.0px}

Hey,

We have recently received an ITA for Canada PR express entry. I am the primary applicant and husband is secondary. My husband's brother holds a Canadian PR. To get points for siblings, shall I select the brother/sister option in my family section or in my husband's family section?

Question in the application form: Does XYZ have a relative who is a citizen or permanent resident of Canada? (The relative must be 18 or older and living in Canada.)

This question exists in both my and my husband's section.

Oct 19, 2019
You would select the sibling in your husbands section (it won’t affect your points). Under your section select no.
During ITA application, we selected option for brother as Yes for both me and my husband's Family details. Would this be an issue now?

I also replied the same on the other thread by mistake. Apologize for the confusion.

gem04

Oct 7, 2019
During ITA application, we selected option for brother as Yes for both me and my husband's Family details. Would this be an issue now?

I also replied the same on the other thread by mistake. Apologize for the confusion.
Each sibling is worth 15 points so yes in the sense you’ll have less points. You can amend it no problem on your ITA application (and you can preview your score at the bottom of the page) just make sure your revised score doesn’t fall below the minimum CRS score for your draw as they’ll reject your application.

NessaEJ

Jul 13, 2019
Hello all!
I'm applying for express entry and have my sister as citizen. Her husband and my 24 year old nephew are citizens as well. Is there a way to add the three of them? Or would only my sister give me the points?
Thanks!

Lovekaur93

Jan 7, 2021
Hi
My husband is canadian citizen and i am apply through expess entry. Can i show my brother in law (canadian citizen) as my sibling under my profile sibling option?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi
My husband is canadian citizen and i am apply through expess entry. Can i show my brother in law (canadian citizen) as my sibling under my profile sibling option?
No - no points. It has to be your sibling.

vishka

Oct 5, 2021
Hi, I wanted to apply for Canada PR and claim sibling points. My spouse's blood brother has PR but my spouse isn't moving with me currently. Can I claim my spouse's sibling points in express entry even if my spouse is not applying for PR?

Thanks in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, I wanted to apply for Canada PR and claim sibling points. My spouse's blood brother has PR but my spouse isn't moving with me currently. Can I claim my spouse's sibling points in express entry even if my spouse is not applying for PR?

Thanks in advance
No, you cannot.

Your spouse must be accompanying in your PR application to claim the points.

If you list your spouse as non-accompanying, then you can't claim the sibling points.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Incorrect.
Did you see the post I responded to? My answer was in fact correct. This was the question:

Hello everyone,