+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry Questions - Can I live in Quebec?

Ramangoyal

Jul 7, 2017
you can continue living in montreal until you get the ITA! probably you will have to leave after!

wondering why not CSQ?
I am considering CSQ now because I have a closed work permit and cannot work outside Montreal. Even if I get an ITA in express entry, I will not be able to move out of Quebec. Do you have any idea as to what is the processing time to get CSQ? Also once you get CSQ, how much time it usually take to get the PR?

Mjkab

Aug 29, 2016
9-12 months
12 months minimum
how did you arrange closed wp?
my pgwp expiring next months/ csq still pending/waiting for ITA- I am really in a terrible situation.
now going back to college again!!!!

Reactions: manujose

lakshmikr

Jul 9, 2017
Hi,
Apologies if this question has been answered before.

I would like to move to Montreal for work, as my husband will be moving there for higher studies. I find that that my chances of getting a PR through express entry program/Federal skilled worker is better compared to the Quebec skilled worker program because of my lack of knowledge of French language.
Assuming I get a PR and am able to relocate to Canada, once in Canada how difficult would it be relocating to Quebec and finding work there.
Appreciate any pointers in this regard.
Thanks!

cherti

Aug 25, 2015
Category........
QSW
Hi,
Apologies if this question has been answered before.

I would like to move to Montreal for work, as my husband will be moving there for higher studies. I find that that my chances of getting a PR through express entry program/Federal skilled worker is better compared to the Quebec skilled worker program because of my lack of knowledge of French language.
Assuming I get a PR and am able to relocate to Canada, once in Canada how difficult would it be relocating to Quebec and finding work there.
Appreciate any pointers in this regard.
Thanks!
No white collar jobs in Quebec for non French speakers except in IT.
Even if you manage to find an English only job, do not except it to pay more than the minimum wage.

ndynb

Apr 19, 2015
Hi MidoRafa,
Belated thanks for your response.
Especially reading about people getting in touch with the immigration office has taken away my anxiety
Upon getting a question on this matter I thought it might be helpful for people in a similar situation to know what happened afterwards. Now that I am living and working in Montréal, I can safely say that you do not need to worry. Here is what happened:
When I went to the RAMQ office a bit anxiously I explained right away that I had arrived with the Federal Express Entry so I didn't have the CSQ right away. The guy was not shocked against my expectations :) He simply asked for my COPR on which there was an address in Ontario. So he asked whether I was gonna settle in Québec because you know it is the province that pays for your health costs so they want to make sure that you are gonna stay there before committing. Therefore you will need a proof of residence and the easiest way to convince is a Lease Contract (Bail). As a newcomer I had rented a room on AirBnB for a month. So I provided with them my Employment contract which I was lucky to have before my arrival in Canada. However it seems that the lease contract is a more widely used proof of residence. Because on their official website they mention employment contract as a proof of residence among other docs, yet the clerk had to go and ask for an opinion. But eventually I had no problem and the treatment was very friendly.
I hope this is helpful guys

Reactions: Preux and Abhijan

rajafaran

May 14, 2017
When you apply for FSW/EE, the underlying premise is that you are "intending" to reside anywhere in Canada except Quebec because, the logic goes, QC have their own system and if your intention is to live there then you should just apply through their system and all will be well. Sounds simple, right? Now, of course the reality is that not all immigration streams are created equal: some are easier to get in than others, and some may be closed while others are open.

Strictly speaking, if you apply to one stream simply because it is easier than the one that you would normally apply to, and your "intention" is only to use it to circumvent the system and go live in that other province you -implicitly or explicitly- said you wouldn't go to, then this is misrepresentation. However, since it's mostly about "intentions", which can be hard to prove and which could differ from one's actions for a great number of reasons, people do it and get away with it all the time.

When you land as a potential PR, CBSA officers are instructed to ask you about your intended destination. If what you tell them contradicts your application, they have the authority to deny you your landing and make things very unpleasant for you, as you're practically admitting misrepresentation to them. If, on the other hand, they ascertain that your intentions are sincere (or don't even ask) and allow you to become a Permanent Resident, then your Mobility Rights are protected by the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and you can go live anywhere you want at any time, starting that instant after you land. In general however, people would cautiously advise you not to move right away and at least try to spend a few months and show effort in settling where you said you'd settle, but all this is just so you have enough evidence in case your "intentions" get challenged at any point in the future. To be fair, I have yet to find one PR who got his citizenship denied or his PR revoked on this basis alone.

Best of luck with whichever process you choose!
I was going through to you explanation. I wanted to ask question: I have Express Entry Federal Visa. My relatives are in Ottawa. They want me to land in Montreal so that they can pick me from the airport as Montreal is just two hours drive from Ottawa, Can I land in Montreal?

felixtae

Star Member
Sep 4, 2013
I was going through to you explanation. I wanted to ask question: I have Express Entry Federal Visa. My relatives are in Ottawa. They want me to land in Montreal so that they can pick me from the airport as Montreal is just two hours drive from Ottawa, Can I land in Montreal?
That might be a bit risky - my friend did that and was questioned for over 1.5 hours at Montreal Airport. It is better for you to route through a non-Quebec Airport.

Last edited:

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
I am a new PR through the FSW/EE stream (did my landing 6 months ago and also have a PR card). I haven't lived in Canada though since I am looking for a job before I move there. Now I have an offer from Montreal. I am wondering whether there are any special documents/certificates I need to be able to live and work in Quebec. If I end up living/working there for more than 3 years and apply for citizenship later, will the fact that I landed in Ontario and then started working in Quebec create any problems ? Technically I don't think so since I already am a PR, but it's Quebec so better check before :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Junaid-Montreal

Victor02

Star Member
Nov 3, 2019
I am a new PR through the FSW/EE stream (did my landing 6 months ago and also have a PR card). I haven't lived in Canada though since I am looking for a job before I move there. Now I have an offer from Montreal. I am wondering whether there are any special documents/certificates I need to be able to live and work in Quebec. If I end up living/working there for more than 3 years and apply for citizenship later, will the fact that I landed in Ontario and then started working in Quebec create any problems ? Technically I don't think so since I already am a PR, but it's Quebec so better check before :)
what did you decide? Quebec or outside? can you share your experiences here please?