+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express entry profile rejected - Poct doc in Canada

pumpkinphd

Oct 14, 2016
Hi,

I can't figure out why exactly my profile was rejected. I did my PhD in Germany for 4 years and 9 months, had a part-time working contract and was NOT on a study permit. So used that as 2 years full-time exprience under NOC 4012.
I have been in Canada working as a post doc for 8 months, used NOC 2121 - since it matched my duties better.
IELTS score - good
ECA done - Bachelors, Masters and PhD

Could it be the primary NOC mismatch with previous work ex?

I might then just wait 4 months and apply via CEC.

I'd appreciate any help from you guys!

Thanks,

karenv

Jul 8, 2014
You may not have 67 points to qualify for FSW. You need to list your IELTS score and your age for other people to comment

pumpkinphd

Oct 14, 2016
oh okay! Where can I find the details of how it's 67?
Age -29, IELTS score - Reading 8.5, Writing 7.5, Listening 9, Speaking 8.5

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Go to this link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-factors.asp

thourb

Star Member
Sep 6, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
On the face of it you should be eligible for FSW. You would select NOC 4012 at the moment as that is the job in which you have two years experience. As long as your ECA is less than five years old, you sat the IELTS General Training (not academic) and it is less than two years old you should be fine. Are you using the "Come to Canada" tool on the CIC website?

thourb

Star Member
Sep 6, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How much money are you bringing to Canada and how many people are there in your family? As you're applying under FSW you require funds unless you have an LMIA backed job offer. I'm not sure your current employment counts...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/offer.asp - Job offer requirements
http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp - Funds requirements

Note that if you are applying under CEC you don't need to show funds - but you'll only be able to do this when you've been working in Canada for one year.

pumpkinphd

Oct 14, 2016
Thanks for your replies!
I stated 20k in the profile, immigrating as a single person and my current job doesn't require LMIA.

thourb

Star Member
Sep 6, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pumpkinphd said:
Thanks for your replies!
I stated 20k in the profile, immigrating as a single person and my current job doesn't require LMIA.
I just completed the Come to Canada tool with details exactly as you have written in this thread and it told me that you are eligible for Express Entry. Not sure where it's going wrong your end...

Did you choose "yes" to the question about having a job offer?

pumpkinphd

Oct 14, 2016
Yes.
I'm wondering if it's the earning while studying problem but I can prove that I was not on a student permit in Germany. The visa was just a residence permit and the job offer stated "research assistant"...

thourb

Star Member
Sep 6, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pumpkinphd said:
Yes.
I'm wondering if it's the earning while studying problem but I can prove that I was not on a student permit in Germany. The visa was just a residence permit and the job offer stated "research assistant"...
I don't think that's the issue. The Come to Canada wizard is a simple tool that checks to see which streams you are eligible for (you're eligible for FSW) and then checks you have met the minimum requirements and you have enough points.

You've definitely got enough points. You have enough money for one applicant. You have at least one year's foreign work experience (ensure that you put that you have less than one year Canadian experience and 2-3 years foreign experience). You have ECA which is valid and IELTS which is CLB 7+. You're 29 years old so get max points for age.

These are the factors that the tool looks at. The tool doesn't ask what your specific NOC is and is not interested with proof of how you got your money, it's only concerned that you have more money than the minimum requirement. It's also not concerned with what your residency status was when you got your work experience.

I've completed the tool using the details you've given and it shows that you are eligible. The only things that I couldn't enter specifically was your nationality, and exact dates (such as date of birth and IELTS results date). All I can suggest is to try going through it again and perhaps tweaking some of your answers to see by trial and error where you're going wrong?

pumpkinphd

Oct 14, 2016
Thanks for the help guys!
I changed the past experience NOC to 2121 (since that also fits the previous job description), that is same as the one I have in my current job and it's through! Hope to get the ITA soon (score 496)!
:)