+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry / Marital Status / Common Law / Siblings

mel82

Jul 26, 2015
Hey there,

I am really confused with 2 questions in my Express Entry Profile.

I tried to figure it out via the CRS tool, but I can't. I have 435 points, so I really try to squeeze out the last few points to get an invitation soon.

I have a Canadian partner - therefore I would chose "Common Law" for marital status.
In the CRS tool, the next thing that pops up is if my partner is Canadian - so I choose "Yes".
Then, question number " 10) Do you or your spouse or common law partner (if they will come with you to Canada) have at least one brother or sister living in Canada who is a citizen or permanent resident?
Note: to answer yes, the brother or sister must be:
  • 18 years old or older
  • related to you or your partner by blood, marriage, common-law partnership or adoption
  • have a parent in common with you or your partner"

So, here I get stuck. My Canadian Partner has siblings who are Canadian citizen. Do I choose yes in this question? The text in the brackets irritates me: ..."(if they will come with you to Canada)".
Does that mean I can only choose yes if my partner would be non Canadian and be immigrating with me and has Canadian siblings?
Which means for me that I cannot tick the box since my Canadian partner is of course not immigrating with me since he is Canadian?

It's quite important, since I get 15 more extra points if I choose yes in question number 10 :)

However, if I can chose yes and stick with the marital status common law - is that the point where I have to proof our relationship with all kinds of crazy paperwork?
My original idea was to apply as a single and try to collect enough points for skilled worker express entry and not go thru paperwork with a common law sponsorship...

Thanks for any helpful hints!

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
Hey there,

I am really confused with 2 questions in my Express Entry Profile.

I tried to figure it out via the CRS tool, but I can't. I have 435 points, so I really try to squeeze out the last few points to get an invitation soon.

I have a Canadian partner - therefore I would chose "Common Law" for marital status.
In the CRS tool, the next thing that pops up is if my partner is Canadian - so I choose "Yes".
Then, question number " 10) Do you or your spouse or common law partner (if they will come with you to Canada) have at least one brother or sister living in Canada who is a citizen or permanent resident?
Note: to answer yes, the brother or sister must be:
  • 18 years old or older
  • related to you or your partner by blood, marriage, common-law partnership or adoption
  • have a parent in common with you or your partner"

So, here I get stuck. My Canadian Partner has siblings who are Canadian citizen. Do I choose yes in this question? The text in the brackets irritates me: ..."(if they will come with you to Canada)".
Does that mean I can only choose yes if my partner would be non Canadian and be immigrating with me and has Canadian siblings?
Which means for me that I cannot tick the box since my Canadian partner is of course not immigrating with me since he is Canadian?

It's quite important, since I get 15 more extra points if I choose yes in question number 10 :)

However, if I can chose yes and stick with the marital status common law - is that the point where I have to proof our relationship with all kinds of crazy paperwork?
My original idea was to apply as a single and try to collect enough points for skilled worker express entry and not go thru paperwork with a common law sponsorship...

Thanks for any helpful hints!
Note: If your spouse or partner is not coming with you to Canada, or they are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you will earn points as if you don’t have a spouse or partner.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/criteria-comprehensive-ranking-system/grid.html

Mobolaji9

Apr 18, 2019
My spouse is a PR Holder, we currently do not want to have anything to do with each other and have live apart for over a year. What should I put as my status. We are about to submit our application for divorce. Kindly advise