+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry - Length of Work Experience

Sophiej01

Oct 24, 2016
Can someone please help regarding how to count my FOREIGN work experience. I have worked for two companies. For each company, I have been in two different positions, so all together 4 positions.

Company A: Interned for 3 months; full-time; job title: Intern; Job Code: A1112
Company A: Analyst for 11 months; full-time; job title: Analyst; Job Code: A1112
Company B: Analyst for 16 months; full-time; job title: Analyst; Job Code: A1112
Company B: Manager for 12 months; full-time; job title: Manager; Job Code: A1112

There was a two-week-gap betweeen Company A and Company B. There was no other gap.

How many years of foreign work experience did I have? Many thanks.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
OK, I'm going to assume that you're not asking about how to do basic math, so ... what is the real question? What are you unsure about?

Three questions -
(1) was the intern postion paid? If yes, it counts.
(2) Position #4 - with the "manager" title it is possibly a different NOC code (example, 0121) but of course you need to match the NOC based on duties, not job title.
(3) You have "counted" in months. In all likelihood, you did not start each position on the first of a month, and end on the last day of a month. So if you have partial months, you need to either "round down" to the nearest whole month, or count more exactly by completed weeks. IRCC will measure your experience from exact start date to exact end date.

Sophiej01

Oct 24, 2016
Thank your for your reply. No. It's not about basic math.

I have two questions. Question 1: how do they count the total length? Does it have to be continuous work in one company? Or does it have to be continuous work in one company in one position? I heard somewhere that if you did not do a job for more than one year, its length would not be counted. In my case, will the 11 months as an Analyst be counted as 11 months or as zero months as it was less than a year?

Regarding the manager role, I did not oversee any subordinate, so basically still an Analyst role.

Question 2: I only worked outside Canada, so all my work experience were overseas. I need to get 50 points from "With good/strong official languages proficiency (CLB level 9 or higher) and 3 years or more of foreign work experience. Here for the foreign work experience, does it have to be under the same NOC code? In my case like you said, if my Manager job code is 0121, will it count towards the 3 years?

Many thanks in advance for your help

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
Sophiej01 said:
Can someone please help regarding how to count my FOREIGN work experience. I have worked for two companies. For each company, I have been in two different positions, so all together 4 positions.

Company A: Interned for 3 months; full-time; job title: Intern; Job Code: A1112
Company A: Analyst for 11 months; full-time; job title: Analyst; Job Code: A1112
Company B: Analyst for 16 months; full-time; job title: Analyst; Job Code: A1112
Company B: Manager for 12 months; full-time; job title: Manager; Job Code: A1112

There was a two-week-gap betweeen Company A and Company B. There was no other gap.

How many years of foreign work experience did I have? Many thanks.
As far as the question of continuous work experience is concerned, it is only to meet the minimum requirements of FSW (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp). However, when considering your total work experience, the gaps will not be a matter of concern.

As far as CRS is concerned, you will get maximum points for 3 years work experience. However, please note you will also be assessed against FSW 67/100 minimum points requirement. In case of FSW 67/100 points assessment, you get maximum points for 6 years of work experience. Please check this link to know more http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-factors.asp.

Meanwhile, if you want to calculate your CRS, you can use this calculator http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

Sophiej01

Oct 24, 2016
Stanlee said:
As far as the question of continuous work experience is concerned, it is only to meet the minimum requirements of FSW. However, when considering your total work experience, the gaps will not be a matter of concern.

As far as CRS is concerned, you will get maximum points for 3 years work experience. However, please note you will also be assessed against FSW 67/100 minimum points requirement. In case of FSW 67/100 points assessment, you get maximum points for 6 years of work experience.

Meanwhile, if you want to calculate your CRS, you can use this calculator
Thank you. I have calculated my EE score and it comes out at 477. To get this score, I put in 3 years of foreign work experience. Are you 100% sure that my work experience above suffice the 3 years requirement? Thank you.

Sophiej01

Oct 24, 2016
dan_and said:
If the two positions are two different NOC codes, you need to list them as separate entries in myCIC. You can have one reference letter to cover both NOC codes / jobs
The two positions are under the same NOC codes. In fact, all four positions in two companies are under the same NOC code.

My concern of combining them is: if I list only Analyst for 14 months, while my reference letter will indicate that it is actually 3 months Intern + 11 months Analyst, will it be an issue of misrepresentation?

Aakash87

Oct 24, 2016
Hi All,

I have a question regarding the work experience. Is it mandatory to declare all work experience gathered till date?

Just to give brief background - I have a total work experience of 68months, but it is spread across different NOCs. But the last 2 jobs, which total 40 months, falls under the same NOC. And it will not be easy to get a reference letter from my earlier employers. So while making the express entry profile can I only declare the continuous work experience (also the most recent) that makes me eligible.
If yes, do I need to mention anything about by earlier work ex in Personal History section etc. I read it somewhere on the forum.

How important is the designation ? Although my current designation is Business Analyst, my job profile matches with NOC 1112 (Financial Analyst)

Can anyone share his/her experience with Reference letter. Do we need to contact the HR? but how would they add the roles and responsibilities? Because it should match with the details mentioned under the selected Job code.

Thanks!

Aakash87

Oct 24, 2016
Thanks Dan. Appreciate it!

One more question - Is there any specific format of the reference letter? Because I called up the HR, and she was not sure what to wirte in the letter regarding the role etc.

As per the CIC website -
A reference or experience letter from the employer, which

- Should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company),
- Should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits

syedarsalan

Star Member
Oct 17, 2016
Stanlee said:
As far as the question of continuous work experience is concerned, it is only to meet the minimum requirements of FSW (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp). However, when considering your total work experience, the gaps will not be a matter of concern.

As far as CRS is concerned, you will get maximum points for 3 years work experience. However, please note you will also be assessed against FSW 67/100 minimum points requirement. In case of FSW 67/100 points assessment, you get maximum points for 6 years of work experience. Please check this link to know more http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-factors.asp.

Meanwhile, if you want to calculate your CRS, you can use this calculator http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp
I just got confused? If we have 482 points under CRS, Do I still have to check FSW 67 points?
Sorry but how they are related can anyone explain?

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
syedarsalan said:
I just got confused? If we have 482 points under CRS, Do I still have to check FSW 67 points?
Sorry but how they are related can anyone explain?
I actually thought this too...

syedarsalan

Star Member
Oct 17, 2016
dan_and said:
FSW points are used for eligibility. If you want to get your profile accepted in the pool under FSW, you must have at least 67 points.

CRS points are used to select profiles that are already in the pool and apply to all immigration programs (not only FSW).
So, it is like to enter the pool, first you need to be meet FSW criteria of 67/100 points. After you enter the pool, you'll be judged based on your CRS scores.

Thanks a lot.

Shreyas90h

Apr 12, 2015
Hello ALL,

Is it okay if i have 5 days difference in my continuos employment as i am changing my company from company A to company B. Company A is my current company and Company B want me to join on 21st nov. However i need to take a break of 5 day and want my LWD as 16 november. I started company A on 31st march 2016 and requesting to leave on 16nov. Now the period here in this company us 2 years 7 and half months and the company which i will be joining has same NOC same profile.

In this case will there be any issue with experience? i mean 5 days here and there are they fine? Will this have any effect on my CRS calculation?

Because the maximum i can stretch is 18 november because sat and sun is non working day and company will only allow for 18nov.

Please let me know it is urgen Sad Sad :(t?

hussamsh

Jul 5, 2017
Hi guys,

Would really appreciate your help on this.

I am currently applying under the FSWP and in the process of initiating my express entry profile. However, I am facing a dilemma when it comes to my work experience. I have exactly 10 months of work experience under NOC code 6235 and 2 years and 2 months in NOC code 1111. My question is can I claim points for three years of work experience under CRS (in other words can I use multiple NOC codes to obtain the three years of work experience). If I can, can I use my 10 months old job to combine it with my current 2 years and 2 months job or should it be at least one continuous full year?

My second question is, I couldn't find my job title for my initial job but however, when I looked through the NOC codes, I have found NOC code 6235 to be suitable for all my job duties. Is it fine to declare my old job title given that it doesn't match with the job title covered in the NOC code? Also what kind of supporting documents should I prepare as a proof of employment? Is employment letter considered enough or do I have to obtain my payslips and old job contracts?