+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

express entry last 5 years or 10 years? please help with this mystery

JACKCHITRA123

Star Member
Apr 21, 2017
Hello All

i am really confused with this requirement of last 10 years

i have already sent my application 2 weeks ago and i am claiming points on two seperate work experiences

work exp 1 from 2008 to 2012

work exp 2 from 2015 to 2016

both same noc codes

incase if cic does not accept work exp 2 then will i be ok with work exp 1?

work exp 1 is not within the last 5 years? is that a problem

please help

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Hello All

i am really confused with this requirement of last 10 years

i have already sent my application 2 weeks ago and i am claiming points on two seperate work experiences

work exp 1 from 2008 to 2012

work exp 2 from 2015 to 2016

both same noc codes

incase if cic does not accept work exp 2 then will i be ok with work exp 1?

work exp 1 is not within the last 5 years? is that a problem

please help
Your work experience only has to be within the last 10 years... so both count... but why wouldn't IRCC accept work experience 2?

Reactions: JACKCHITRA123

JACKCHITRA123

Star Member
Apr 21, 2017
Your work experience only has to be within the last 10 years... so both count... but why wouldn't IRCC accept work experience 2?
thanks for replying

i am just going for worst case scenario since i dont have complete documents for work exp 2?

so which work exp has to be in the last five years?

are you sure its last 5 years or 10 years?

someone said its last 5 years for fsw. is that correct

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
thanks for replying

i am just going for worst case scenario since i dont have complete documents for work exp 2?

so which work exp has to be in the last five years?

are you sure its last 5 years or 10 years?

someone said its last 5 years for fsw. is that correct
No that's not correct. In fact, the points under FSW eligibility max out at 6+ years - if only work within the last 5 years counted, that wouldn't be the case. It would max out at 5 years. It's within the last 10 years. See below from IRCC website:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp

Who can apply: Federal skilled workers

Minimum requirements
Skilled work experience
Your work experience must be:

• in the same type of job as your primary NOC
  • within the last 10 years
  • paid work (volunteer work, unpaid internships don’t count)
  • at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 National Occupational Classification (NOC)
  • at least 1 year (1,560 hours total / 30 hours per week), continuous:
    • full-time at 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • equal amount in part-time: 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • full-time at more than 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
You must show that you did the duties set out in the occupational description in the NOC. This includes most of the main duties listed.

If you can’t show that your work experience meets the description in the NOC, you aren’t eligible under this program.

JACKCHITRA123

Star Member
Apr 21, 2017
No that's not correct. In fact, the points under FSW eligibility max out at 6+ years - if only work within the last 5 years counted, that wouldn't be the case. It would max out at 5 years. It's within the last 10 years. See below from IRCC website:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp

Who can apply: Federal skilled workers

Minimum requirements
Skilled work experience
Your work experience must be:

• in the same type of job as your primary NOC
  • within the last 10 years
  • paid work (volunteer work, unpaid internships don’t count)
  • at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 National Occupational Classification (NOC)
  • at least 1 year (1,560 hours total / 30 hours per week), continuous:
    • full-time at 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • equal amount in part-time: 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • full-time at more than 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
You must show that you did the duties set out in the occupational description in the NOC. This includes most of the main duties listed.

If you can’t show that your work experience meets the description in the NOC, you aren’t eligible under this program.

hello thanks for your reply

please see this link http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/eligible-for-fsw-and-express-entry.488363/#post-5976818

and the reply by lino82

apparently its a requirement to have worked for at least one year in the primary noc code

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
hello thanks for your reply

please see this link http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/eligible-for-fsw-and-express-entry.488363/#post-5976818

and the reply by lino82

apparently its a requirement to have worked for at least one year in the primary noc code
Yes, you are required to have worked for one year in the primary NOC code (if you read the link and information from IRCC's website I sent you in the last post, this is mentioned)...but that doesn't have anything to do with that work experience falling within the last 10 years versus the last 5 years...

I've read lino82's comments but, unfortunately, he/she has not provided any links to resources that support that claim of 5 years. Everything on IRCC's website says within the last 10 years.

Please see additional link from IRCC's FAQ: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1007&top=

Last edited:

JACKCHITRA123

Star Member
Apr 21, 2017
Yes, you are required to have worked for one year in the primary NOC code (if you read the link and information from IRCC's website I sent you in the last post, this is mentioned)...but that doesn't have anything to do with that work experience falling within the last 10 years versus the last 5 years...

I've ready lino82's comments but, unfortunately, he/she has not provided any links to resources that support that claim of 5 years. Everything on IRCC's website says within the last 10 years.

Please see additional link from IRCC's FAQ: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1007&top=

thanks very much

apparently lino82 has posted false information

deril

Feb 22, 2017
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and would really like your help on the experience letter for FSW express entry.
Can anyone pls tell me wether we have to elaborate on the job duties mentioned in the NOC code. Or does the experience letter have to be quite similar to the NOC list.
I ask this as I think if one tries to elaborate too much on the job duties than there is a risk of deviating from what the VO would like to see in job duties.

Any suggestion will be very helpful.

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and would really like your help on the experience letter for FSW express entry.
Can anyone pls tell me wether we have to elaborate on the job duties mentioned in the NOC code. Or does the experience letter have to be quite similar to the NOC list.
I ask this as I think if one tries to elaborate too much on the job duties than there is a risk of deviating from what the VO would like to see in job duties.

Any suggestion will be very helpful.
LOL, Welcome to the forum...and to overthinking things (don't worry, we ALL did it in the beginning :) )

As long as you know you've chosen the correct NOC code, everything else should fall into place. Provide a list of your job functions as you would if it 'didn't really matter' (elaborate only as much as you would have in a 'normal' situation), and, as long as you have the right NOC Code, the list should match.

You can compare the resulting list against the NOC Code's job duties list and ask your Company to tweak as needed, if they will accommodate that request, but don't tweak so much as to make the lists identical - that's too suspicious. Just be honest about everything and you should be good to go.

deril

Feb 22, 2017
LOL, Welcome to the forum...and to overthinking things (don't worry, we ALL did it in the beginning :) )

As long as you know you've chosen the correct NOC code, everything else should fall into place. Provide a list of your job functions as you would if it 'didn't really matter' (elaborate only as much as you would have in a 'normal' situation), and, as long as you have the right NOC Code, the list should match.

You can compare the resulting list against the NOC Code's job duties list and ask your Company to tweak as needed, if they will accommodate that request, but don't tweak so much as to make the lists identical - that's too suspicious. Just be honest about everything and you should be good to go.

Thanks "crescent_jam" for the reply.
Ya I know I am overthinking it but its one of those things that everyone worries about. Your advice was good.That make a list of what you actually do and then try to tweak it a little bit toward the NOC list. That sounds good. My company will do that. Thanks again.

deril

Feb 22, 2017
One more thing, one of my friends submitted the experience letter with exact copy paste of the nom code and he got approved. He didn't seem to bother much about the copy paste issue as his argument was that it's been approved by the reporting manager and the letter is issued by the company and he has provided contact details of his reporting manager. and if they have to verify they can call and the manager will confirm it. he also had all the other documents regarding his employement.
Seems like a legit argument. any thoughts?

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
One more thing, one of my friends submitted the experience letter with exact copy paste of the nom code and he got approved. He didn't seem to bother much about the copy paste issue as his argument was that it's been approved by the reporting manager and the letter is issued by the company and he has provided contact details of his reporting manager. and if they have to verify they can call and the manager will confirm it. he also had all the other documents regarding his employement.
Seems like a legit argument. any thoughts?
Technically that's fine as well because, as your friend pointed out, it is approved by the Company that employs you, so who is IRCC to say it's not true. I just prefer not to do anything that could cause IRCC to be suspicious and, in most cases, a Job Description that matches an NOC Code word-for-word, to me, would seem a bit suspicious (because that just seems a bit TOO ideal and perfect). But the argument your friend makes is still sound.

deril

Feb 22, 2017
One more query please...

the lead statement has just one line and this is also the exact first job duty mentioned in the "Main duties".

How does one describe what he has done to support the lead statement, as in this case it is also a main duty. Will it be fine if my employer just rewords the lead statement or do i need to mention a few duties to support the lead statement.

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
One more query please...

the lead statement has just one line and this is also the exact first job duty mentioned in the "Main duties".

How does one describe what he has done to support the lead statement, as in this case it is also a main duty. Will it be fine if my employer just rewords the lead statement or do i need to mention a few duties to support the lead statement.
your employer has to list all the tasks you performed at the company. don't reword NOC list. just write what you did