+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry - Intended work in Canada - Question about employment for 1 year

chatyabiotech

Jun 28, 2017
Hello Everyone, I am not sure what to answer for one of the questionsin Express entry " Intended work in Canada" section. My situation is as follows. I have a PGWP and I worked 4 months full time in 2016 under the PGWP ( the job offer was not for one year in 2016). Then, I received a full-time job offer for one year in 2017. I have been working 40 hrs/week in this job since jan 2017 until now ( 6 months). So, this totals more than one year 30 hrs/week.

On the "Intended work in Canada" section, I was asked about the job offer and whether it was full-time, one year etc., I answer " Yes" to these questions and following several other questions, I got this :

"Has Sathya Narayanan Thulasi Raman been working full-time for the employer on their current work permit for at least one year? (Or for an equal amount of part time work?)"

As I have worked only 6 months in the current job ( where I have a one year, continuous, full-time job offer), I answered "NO" and submitted my profile. I was found ineligible.

Is the question asking me whether I have worked one year full-time equivalent, when all the employers are considered and not just the current employer ? As, I have one year full-time equivalent from the two jobs, should I have answered yes ?

I would really appreciate some clarity on this. Thank You.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You don't have a year of work experience and don't qualify for CEC. You need to work another two months full time before you'll qualify. You need 52 weeks of full time work experience before you'll qualify. Each week where you work 30 hours or more is only counted as 1 week. You cannot transfer the "extra" hours to form additional weeks.

Reactions: chatyabiotech

chatyabiotech

Jun 28, 2017
You don't have a year of work experience and don't qualify for CEC. You need to work another two months full time before you'll qualify. You need 52 weeks of full time work experience before you'll qualify. Each week where you work 30 hours or more is only counted as 1 week. You cannot transfer the "extra" hours to form additional weeks.
Thank You for your reply. While they count the hours for part-time employment, I don't understand why they wouldn't do the same for full-time employment. Could you please provide me with a source for this information, if there is any ?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Because otherwise people working 80 hours a week (example) would be claiming a year of work experience in 6 months without having worked for a period of one year.

Does it not make sense to that one must work for a year to claim a year of work experience?

Reactions: chatyabiotech

chatyabiotech

Jun 28, 2017
Because otherwise people working 80 hours a week (example) would be claiming a year of work experience in 6 months without having worked for a period of one year.

Does it not make sense to that one must work for a year to claim a year of work experience?
Yeah, when you put it that way... it does. I was just going by the hours I worked. However, it does make sense that one has to work a year to gain a year's experience.

chatyabiotech

Jun 28, 2017
Thank You for your reply. While they count the hours for part-time employment, I don't understand why they wouldn't do the same for full-time employment. Could you please provide me with a source for this information, if there is any ?
Hello Scyllia. I have one more question. Hope you can clarify this for me.
So, after I work for two more months with my current employer, can I answer "Yes" to the question below, when I create my express entry profile again ?
"Has Sathya Narayanan Thulasi Raman been working full-time for the employer on their current work permit for at least one year? (Or for an equal amount of part time work?)"

As I mentioned previously, I have worked 4 months for one employer ( where I did not have a one year job offer) and I have worked 6 months with the current employer ( where I have one year, contunuous, full-time job offer). I don't understand whether the one year work experience can be from two different employers or whether it has to be with the single employer who has offered me a one-year job offer letter ?

chatyabiotech

Jun 28, 2017

Hello Delpiero,
I am asking you the same question I asked Scyllia. I would really appreciate some guidance on this. Please see the question below.

So, after I work for two more months with my current employer, can I answer "Yes" to the question below, when I create my express entry profile again ?

As I mentioned previously, I have worked 4 months for one employer ( where I did not have a one year job offer) and I have worked 6 months with the current employer ( where I have one year, contunuous, full-time job offer). I don't understand whether the one year work experience can be from two different employers or whether it has to be with the single employer who has offered me a one-year job offer letter ?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Delpiero,
I am asking you the same question I asked Scyllia. I would really appreciate some guidance on this. Please see the question below.

For CEC your work experience need not be continuous so you can use both experiences to claim a year of work experience.

The answer for that question is still "no" but you don't need to answer "yes" to be eligible under CEC.

chatyabiotech

Jun 28, 2017
For CEC your work experience need not be continuous so you can use both experiences to claim a year of work experience.

The answer for that question is still "no" but you don't need to answer "yes" to be eligible under CEC.
OK. So, the question that they are asking is indeed whether I have worked one year with the employer who has offered me a one year job offer . Is it ?

Last edited: