+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry Ineligiblity - What on EARTH am I doing wrong!?

saskguy

Feb 9, 2021
Hi guys,

I am getting absolutely fed up; I don't understand what I am doing wrong with regard to my Express Entry application as I constantly getting the message "Profile ineligible" when I try and submit my profile.

I'm not stupid - I have tried everything. Key points of my application:
  • I have an IEC work permit and am already working in Canada in a NOC 'A' job; I have a VALID job offer (I have < 1-year experience but am not far off 1 full year)
  • I have scored 12 in all four components of the CELPIP-G English exam
  • I have a one-year diploma with an ECA
  • I have 10 years' skilled foreign work experience which I have inputted into the 'Work history' section (the NOCs for these align to my Canadian experience NOC)
  • I have no spouse/children
  • I am 35 years' age
  • My funds are well above Canadian migration requirements
The CRS wizard suggests I should have at least 428 points based on the above, which will go up to 481 as soon as I hit one year and make me eligible for CEC. I just want to lock my profile in the pool for now and apply for CEC as soon as I'm eligible.

But HOW on EARTH AM I GETTING 'PROFILE INELIGIBLE!?' every time I submit my EE profile. Furthermore, why is my Express Entry account profile status not showing my CRS calculation - in fact it gives me 'Your overall score 0'.

What the hell am I doing wrong? Can anyone offer up a suggestion?

The only thing I have not done is listed by High School/Primary School Education but I don't think I need to do this? I already have an ECA for a one-year diploma FFS.

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You don’t have a job offer unless you have a LMIA and closed work permit. Also you don’t have a year of Canadian experience if apply through CEC.

saskguy

Feb 9, 2021
You don’t have a job offer unless you have a LMIA and closed work permit. Also you don’t have a year of Canadian experience if apply through CEC.
But I'm LMIA-exempt? I'm an open work permit and in accordance with IRCC regulations (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/offer-employment/lmia-exempt.html):

"Jobs exempt from the LMIA
reciprocal employment – lets foreign workers get jobs in Canada when Canadians have similar opportunities in other countries
  1. general (such as professional coaches and athletes working for Canadian teams)
  2. International Experience Canada – a work abroad program for youth and young professionals
  3. people in exchange programs like professors and visiting lecturers"

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
But I'm LMIA-exempt? I'm an open work permit and in accordance with IRCC regulations (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/offer-employment/lmia-exempt.html):

"Jobs exempt from the LMIA
reciprocal employment – lets foreign workers get jobs in Canada when Canadians have similar opportunities in other countries
  1. general (such as professional coaches and athletes working for Canadian teams)
  2. International Experience Canada – a work abroad program for youth and young professionals
  3. people in exchange programs like professors and visiting lecturers"
The rules you've quoted are the rules for being LMIA exempt. Different rules apply for claiming job offer points under EE.

The information you have been given above is correct.

To claim the 50 job offer points on an IEC, you need an approved LMIA. This is because you are on an open work permit with no employer named.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys,

I am getting absolutely fed up; I don't understand what I am doing wrong with regard to my Express Entry application as I constantly getting the message "Profile ineligible" when I try and submit my profile.

I'm not stupid - I have tried everything. Key points of my application:
  • I have an IEC work permit and am already working in Canada in a NOC 'A' job; I have a VALID job offer (I have < 1-year experience but am not far off 1 full year)
  • I have scored 12 in all four components of the CELPIP-G English exam
  • I have a one-year diploma with an ECA
  • I have 10 years' skilled foreign work experience which I have inputted into the 'Work history' section (the NOCs for these align to my Canadian experience NOC)
  • I have no spouse/children
  • I am 35 years' age
  • My funds are well above Canadian migration requirements
The CRS wizard suggests I should have at least 428 points based on the above, which will go up to 481 as soon as I hit one year and make me eligible for CEC. I just want to lock my profile in the pool for now and apply for CEC as soon as I'm eligible.

But HOW on EARTH AM I GETTING 'PROFILE INELIGIBLE!?' every time I submit my EE profile. Furthermore, why is my Express Entry account profile status not showing my CRS calculation - in fact it gives me 'Your overall score 0'.

What the hell am I doing wrong? Can anyone offer up a suggestion?

The only thing I have not done is listed by High School/Primary School Education but I don't think I need to do this? I already have an ECA for a one-year diploma FFS.

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks.
OK - so let's look at possible reasons why your profile may be ineligible now that we know you don't qualify for the 50 job offer points.

- what NOC have you selected as your primary NOC? Do you have at least one year of continuous work experience in this NOC?
- have you shown proof of funds?
- Do you have at least 67 points under the FSW points sysytem?

saskguy

Feb 9, 2021
You've got to be kidding me. So being LMIA exempt does not allow me to claim points for a job offer on EE?

In regards to your other questions,
- Both NOCs 5122 or 1123 are applicable, and yes I have at least one year of continuous work experience in either
- I wasn't asked to show proof of funds, but I have inputted an amount well above what's outlined in the table here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/proof-funds.html
- I have not even contemplated the FSW. Would you happen to link me to a calculator for it please?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You've got to be kidding me. So being LMIA exempt does not allow me to claim points for a job offer on EE?

- Both NOCs 5122 or 1123 are applicable, and yes I have at least one year of continuous work experience in either
- I wasn't asked to show proof of funds, but I have inputted an amount well above what's outlined in the table here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/proof-funds.html
- I have not even contemplated the FSW. Would you happen to link me to a calculator for it please?
You aren’t eligible for the 50 points being under IEC/LMIA exempt/open work permit. You are eligible for CEC once you have one year of Canadian experience. So right now only eligible for FSW.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers.html

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

You can in fact qualify for the 50 job offer points if you are on an LMIA exempt work permit. However it has to be a closed work permit with a specific employer listed (and you must have worked for that employer in Canada for at least one year on the closed work permit). Examples of this are the ICT visa and the Young Professional visa (but not the Working Holiday Visa).

FSW point system:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers/six-selection-factors-federal-skilled-workers.html

saskguy

Feb 9, 2021
You can in fact qualify for the 50 job offer points if you are on an LMIA exempt work permit. However it has to be a closed work permit with a specific employer listed (and you must have worked for that employer in Canada for at least one year on the closed work permit). Examples of this are the ICT visa and the Young Professional visa (but not the Working Holiday Visa).

FSW point system:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers/six-selection-factors-federal-skilled-workers.html
Thanks, scylla - so I just looked at it and I think I have:
CLB 9 or higher: +24 points (24)
1-year certificate: +15 points (39)
6 or more years' experience: +15 points (54)
Age 18-35: +12 points (66)
Arranged employment in Canada:
....??? I SO confused. I simply have a 2-year IEC Working Holiday Visa. I am employed in a NOC A job in Saskatchewan under an open work permit. No LMIA was undertaken for my position. The wording of the 4 'Situations' is so convoluted I can't even understand it.
Adaptability: Does this only apply if you have a spouse?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks, scylla - so I just looked at it and I think I have:
CLB 9 or higher: +24 points (24)
1-year certificate: +15 points (39)
6 or more years' experience: +15 points (54)
Age 18-35: +12 points (66)
Arranged employment in Canada:
....??? I SO confused. I simply have a 2-year IEC Working Holiday Visa. No LMIA. I am in a NOC A job in Saskatchewan. The wording of the 4 'Situations' is so convoluted I can't even understand it.
Adaptability: Does this only apply if you have a spouse?
You can't claim the arranged employment points. As said before, what you have does not qualify as a job offer / arranged employment. Situation 4 is a no for you since you fall under an international agreement (so you don't meet the requirements of the second bullet).

If you're only at 66 points, this is why your EE profile is being auto rejected. You need a minimum of 67 points. You may need to wait until you have a year of Canadian work experience before setting up an EE profile will be possible.

saskguy

Feb 9, 2021
You can't claim the arranged employment points. As said before, what you have does not qualify as a job offer / arranged employment. Situation 4 is a no for you since you fall under an international agreement (so you don't meet the requirements of the second bullet).

If you're only at 66 points, this is why your EE profile is being auto rejected. You need a minimum of 67 points. You may need to wait until you have a year of Canadian work experience before setting up an EE profile will be possible.
This honestly has to be the biggest joke in the world! Why even bother waiting for a year then? My EE points will likely be so low that I'd be relying on a miracle like when the Immigration Minister invited everyone in a previous CEC pool for PR.

Concurrent to this process my employer is also applying for a Job Approval letter for me which may gave me a lifeline under the Saskatchewan Immigration Nomination Program. But with my visa situation, would I be allowed to get a provincial nomination for +600 points??

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
This honestly has to be the biggest joke in the world! Why even bother waiting for a year then? My EE points will likely be so low that I'd be relying on a miracle like when the Immigration Minister invited everyone in a previous CEC pool for PR.

Concurrent to this process my employer is also applying for a Job Approval letter for me which may gave me a lifeline under the Saskatchewan Immigration Nomination Program. But with my visa situation, would I be allowed to get a provincial nomination for +600 points??
It looks like you have two big factors working against you. One being your age and the other your level of education. You're losing quite a lot of points on both of those. Of course nothing you can do about that easily.

PNP programs have different rules and an LMIA isn't always required if you are working in the province. I'm not familiar enough with the Sask program to comment. You'd be best off asking these questions in the PNP section of the forum. The PNP route is probably a good option for you if you can't get enough points under EE. Of course impossible to say if there will be another super low draw for CEC applicants. Certainly worthwhile to set up your EE profile once you qualify in case there is.

Good luck.

saskguy

Feb 9, 2021
It looks like you have two big factors working against you. One being your age and the other your level of education. You're losing quite a lot of points on both of those. Of course nothing you can do about that easily.

PNP programs have different rules and an LMIA isn't always required if you are working in the province. I'm not familiar enough with the Sask program to comment. You'd be best off asking these questions in the PNP section of the forum. The PNP route is probably a good option for you if you can't get enough points under EE. Of course impossible to say if there will be another super low draw for CEC applicants. Certainly worthwhile to set up your EE profile once you qualify in case there is.

Good luck.
I feel cheated by the government that none of this was disclosed clearly to me - I didn't know I liked Canada till later in life so my education and age are what they are, and I thought going on a work holiday visa and finding a skilled job would be a viable alternative. When I was clarifying this with an immigration officer today her comment was "To be honest, getting married is easier."

What a joke. Come here to contribute to the country and my contributions aren't even valid because of BS around LMIA and closed work permits.

Thanks for your help anyway - I agree it may be worth keeping an EE profile for a chance at a CEC invite. I'll look deeper into the stipulation of the PNP pathway.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

saskguy

Feb 9, 2021
Not sure what the government is supposed to disclose to you with IEC visas. Most come to Canada, work for a year or so and return home. If you are working in Saskatchewan and have permanent job offer, look at your eligibility for the SINP - Worker in Saskatchewan program.

https://www.saskatchewan.ca/residents/moving-to-saskatchewan/live-in-saskatchewan/by-immigrating/saskatchewan-immigrant-nominee-program/browse-sinp-programs/applicants-with-saskatchewan-experience
The government should be clear that jobs offers to workers on IEC WH visas do not qualify as "valid" for the purposes of permanent migration. I don't feel this was fairly or clearly disclosed to me.

I respectfully dispute that "most work for a year or so and return home" - if you look at the O'Canada IEC Facebook page I feel there is a lot of interest among WH visa holders to transition to permanent residency, especially with the Immigration Minister commenting that he wants more people who are/have made a contribution to Canada to stay here.

I would have thought that being on a WH visa would be one of the surest ways of proving labor market adaptability in terms of the migration system, but I must really just be very stupid to think that.

Thanks anyway for your help, looks like I'll try for the PNP; failing that, up to my girlfriend to keep me here lol.