+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry - Increase Points

ETT

Jul 25, 2017
Hello, I've completed 2 years in computer programming in Toronto. I have 1 year and a half work permit. Got 6, 6, 8, 8, in IELTS, overall 7. How can I increase my points? I have 373 right now. Is it true that if you have 400 points you got nominated from Ontario provincial program? And do lawyers help? Help

deeksh255

Feb 5, 2019
You are lucky in the sense for people in computer programming, it is much easier to get an ITA through the express entry, human capital priorities program- I know people who just worked for a year as a software engineer and they ended up getting issues an ITA thugh they did not meet the draw.I think you should speak to an agent about your possibilities and if you can, increase your IELTS score.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hello, I've completed 2 years in computer programming in Toronto.
??? A 2-year degree/diploma? Or 2 years of work experience?

I have 1 year and a half work permit.
Do you mean, 1 1/2 years left on your work permit?

Got 6, 6, 8, 8, in IELTS, overall 7. How can I increase my points? I have 373 right now.
1) Improve your IELTS scores (or try CELPIP instead)
2) If your education is foreign and you have not already done so, get your ECA done. It is not mandatory for CEC class, but you won't get points for education without it
3) Work another year.

Is it true that if you have 400 points you got nominated from Ontario provincial program?
It is true that you become eligible (if you indicate that are interested in settling in Ontario), but there is no guarantee you will get a Notification of Interest to apply to OINP.

"The program may issue NOIs to candidates who not only appear to meet Ontario’s program criteria, including a minimum CRS score, but who also appear to meet other requirements, such as a having a job offer in Ontario or work experience in targeted occupations or sectors. The program also sets limits on the number of NOIs issued."

http://www.mri.gov.on.ca/repository/oinp_en_hcp.pdf

And do lawyers help?
Only if for some reason you cannot do it yourself...

Reactions: deeksh255

deeksh255

Feb 5, 2019
Hi @jess_ON

You seem very pro at this; Can I ask you about a few questions I have:
1) On my reference letter for employment, my employer has written no. of hours a week & hourly salary & periods worked
But he did not write the annual salary-- I am not on good terms with him--will this information be sufficient for CIC? I can provide paystubs, T4 & NOA
2) Are records of employment mandatory/ Useful along with application? An agent told e so but I did not read it in the document checklist at all on the CIC website...

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi @jess_ON

You seem very pro at this; Can I ask you about a few questions I have:
1) On my reference letter for employment, my employer has written no. of hours a week & hourly salary & periods worked
But he did not write the annual salary-- I am not on good terms with him--will this information be sufficient for CIC? I can provide paystubs, T4 & NOA

First - there are "hourly wages" and "annual salaries" - they are different forms of remuneration. If you are paid an hourly wage, you do not have an annual salary, so it is fine that your employer did not indicate an "annual salary" (which you did not have). He indicated hours per week and hourly wage - VO can estimate annual earnings from that (prorated by # of weeks worked) and compare to your T4. (you should check that calculation yourself to make sure it is reasonably close).

You did not mention the most important detail - did he write job duties and responsibilities?

2) Are records of employment mandatory/ Useful along with application? An agent told e so but I did not read it in the document checklist at all on the CIC website...

"Employment records" are the letters plus supporting documents you use to prove your work experience. You have a T4 and NOA - that is usually enough. You should have noticed that paystubs were not on the list either on the website (but they are useful in certain circumstances, and VOs sometimes ask for them).

"Record of Employment" is a specific document you get from your employer upon separation (termination); its main purpose is to establish eligibility for EI benefits, so they are required by Service Canada. They are also useful in certain circumstances - all those paystubs are summarized on a single page - but not mandatory.