+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry for Spouse

asb1296

Jan 31, 2018
Hi,

I am just about to create my initial profile for the PR (have completed ECA and my IELTS), however, i am getting married in December to my girlfriend and am looking at my options for her to come to Canada (if i succeed). I understand she can do the entire process for express entry as well but i want to know what other options i have if i get my canadian PR and i want her to come and live with me - i dont mind any options in terms of her being able to work or not work (to begin with). Do note that i would love if she could come immediately with me (even when i go there the 1st time).

I am not willing to wait till December for the marriage and then apply together - that would delay the process a bit too much for me.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1 - If you qualify as common-law you can include her in your application and you can both get PR at the same time.
2 - She can apply based on her own merits.
3 - You can apply as single (assuming you do not qualify for common law) and can include your spouse once you get married if your application is still being processed or if you have received your COPR but still haven't finished the landing procedure.

Reactions: asb1296

shah9692

Jan 15, 2018
Thanks for that info - further query for point no 3 is that
1. If i add her when the copr is still being processed or i havent yet landed - will she automatically receive a pr? Or a temporary visa? Or will i have to do the complete process for her which online says will take 12 months for her?
2. Is there any option that she can get a visitors visa/any other temporary visa once i land there n then live with me? If yes, for how long?

1 - If you qualify as common-law you can include her in your application and you can both get PR at the same time.
2 - She can apply based on her own merits.
3 - You can apply as single (assuming you do not qualify for common law) and can include your spouse once you get married if your application is still being processed or if you have received your COPR but still haven't finished the landing procedure.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1 - She won't automatically receive PR. She will have to provide her medicals/police certificate among other forms and those will have to be assessed. You are confusing adding her to your application to another process (sponsorship) which can indeed take up to 12 months.

2 - Assuming you get married before you land then you would have to inform IRCC of the change in marital status. She wouldn't need a visitors permit as you would both become PR if everything goes through.

Assuming you do not get married before you land then you're single (making the assumption you're not common law as you haven't mentioned anything of the sort) so the fact that you're a PR would be irrelevant to her ability to obtain a visitors permit.

asb1296

Jan 31, 2018
Thanks for this and i did some further reading to clarify and stumbled upon a thread that mentioned that i should add my boyfriend/girlfriend when i put up my initial profile (Apparently if i add her later or after i go to Canada it would be considered as fraud). We do not live together and therefore are not common law partners. But i will be married before i get my PR and go to Canada. So should i put the number of people as 1 or 2 in the profile? I would love to find a way to go to Canada with her the first time i go there.

1 - She won't automatically receive PR. She will have to provide her medicals/police certificate among other forms and those will have to be assessed. You are confusing adding her to your application to another process (sponsorship) which can indeed take up to 12 months.

2 - Assuming you get married before you land then you would have to inform IRCC of the change in marital status. She wouldn't need a visitors permit as you would both become PR if everything goes through.

Assuming you do not get married before you land then you're single (making the assumption you're not common law as you haven't mentioned anything of the sort) so the fact that you're a PR would be irrelevant to her ability to obtain a visitors permit.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for this and i did some further reading to clarify and stumbled upon a thread that mentioned that i should add my boyfriend/girlfriend when i put up my initial profile (Apparently if i add her later or after i go to Canada it would be considered as fraud). We do not live together and therefore are not common law partners. But i will be married before i get my PR and go to Canada. So should i put the number of people as 1 or 2 in the profile? I would love to find a way to go to Canada with her the first time i go there.
1 person. You are single.

asb1296

Jan 31, 2018
1 person. You are single.
Perfect. Thanks.

So assuming i get my PR in 6-9 months and get married to my girlfriend in the 11th month (by then i wont have landed in Canada) can i add her to my profile/application or anything so that she comes along with me the 1st time i land in Canada?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Perfect. Thanks.

So assuming i get my PR in 6-9 months and get married to my girlfriend in the 11th month (by then i wont have landed in Canada) can i add her to my profile/application or anything so that she comes along with me the 1st time i land in Canada?
Yes, you can add her at any time as long as you do not complete the landing process.

onkarsharan

Apr 21, 2017
United Arab Emirates
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-07-2017
Doc's Request.
30-07-2017
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
22-07-2017
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
09-05-2017
Passport Req..
31-08-2017
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2017
LANDED..........
01-05.2018
If I complete soft landing, and then come back and get married. Can she apply independently on her own merit and then list me as a spouse who already has a PR?

Will it affect my PR process if I get married immediately after my soft landing?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If I complete soft landing, and then come back and get married. Can she apply independently on her own merit and then list me as a spouse who already has a PR?

Will it affect my PR process if I get married immediately after my soft landing?
Yes, she can apply on her own.

asb1296

Jan 31, 2018
Thanks @DelPiero07, On further research, id love to understand:

- If i get my PR, add my gf to my application and wait for that processing to happen so that we can both go into Canada together - how long will it take after i submit all her documents (i believe the requirements are marriage certificate, police and medical)? I ask this because i understand there is a last date for me to enter Canada (1 year after my medical test results expiry). Therefore if her processing is not done on my application and my medical test results expire what is the way forward?

- Also, if she gets her WES and IELTS done and makes an application for the PR right now and for any reason she does not get her PR by the time we are married - will it be possible to add her to my application - from my understanding of "dual intent" it should not be a conflict.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks @DelPiero07, On further research, id love to understand:

- If i get my PR, add my gf to my application and wait for that processing to happen so that we can both go into Canada together - how long will it take after i submit all her documents (i believe the requirements are marriage certificate, police and medical)? I ask this because i understand there is a last date for me to enter Canada (1 year after my medical test results expiry). Therefore if her processing is not done on my application and my medical test results expire what is the way forward?

- Also, if she gets her WES and IELTS done and makes an application for the PR right now and for any reason she does not get her PR by the time we are married - will it be possible to add her to my application - from my understanding of "dual intent" it should not be a conflict.
1 - It will take around 3 months. You will receive a new COPR - the processing officer can also require you to do the medicals again.

2 - That's fine but she would have to withdraw her application.