+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry application help

noxee

Jul 21, 2016
Hi All,

I've tried to search for as much information as I can on here but haven't really been able to find much information for my scenario (I could also be terrible at searching).

Anyway onto my situation:

I'm currently working in Canada on a International Experience Canada visa which expires in December. I'm working full-time as a Software Developer, the original job offer I received was a permanent position and it wasn't supported by an LMIA.

I completed the Express Entry checklist and it came back saying I was potentially eligible so I submitted the Express Entry application and it came back saying I was ineligible and I believe this is because I don't have 12 months skilled work experience in Canada yet (I will in September) and that I don't have the $12,470 to support myself when I "move" to Canada.

My employer has said they will complete an LMIA to help support my permanent residency application but on the LMIA form it states either:

a) permanent resident visa application (this means you will hire the foreign national only after their immigration application is processed and the permanent resident visa is issued). This option does not have a processing fee.

OR

b) work permit application and permanent resident visa application (this means you will hire the foreign national as a while their permanent residence application being processed). This option requires paying a processing fee.

I'm guessing that I fall into option b) but I want to see if someone can clarify that. Also if anyone has any other information or thoughts on how best to handle my application that would be appreciated.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
noxee said:
My employer has said they will complete an LMIA to help support my permanent residency application but on the LMIA form it states either:

a) permanent resident visa application (this means you will hire the foreign national only after their immigration application is processed and the permanent resident visa is issued). This option does not have a processing fee.

This is a little misleading. An employer can apply for this for a current employee, it just means that they also have to provide you a written offer of permanent, full-time, non-seasonal employment if you are successful in obtaining permanent resident status. (As long as you are on a temporary work permit, all employment is technically "temporary").

OR

b) work permit application and permanent resident visa application (this means you will hire the foreign national as a while their permanent residence application being processed). This option requires paying a processing fee.

This is also a tad misleading, in that this LMIA can also be used to support a PR application. The fee is for the work permit, however.

Given the length of time it takes to prepare and process LMIA applications, and the pending expiration of your current work permit, if your employer is willing, I would recommend the fee option. It takes the pressure off a bit. Even if they decide to go for the non-fee option, you MIGHT have enough time (if the LMIA is approved) to get your LMIA, receive an ITA, submit an application, and apply for the Bridging Open Work Permit. *Might.*

Just a question, have you explored whether you might be eligible for another IEC visa? Your provincial nomination programs? I ask because it can be difficult to get the LMIA - your employer has to "prove" that no Canadian is available for the job...

noxee

Jul 21, 2016
Thanks for the reply jes_ON, I didn't think I would be eligible for another IEC visa but I just double checked the site and give that I arrived in Canada at the end of December 2014 I believe I may be eligible for a second one. I've submitted my application so I'm going to wait an see if I get invited to apply again.

I'm not sure if I'll go with the first or second option for the LMIA (I'd like to avoid paying the fee if possible) but if I get invited to apply for the IEC visa I'll go the first route. Although it might be worthwhile kicking off the LMIA now...

I don't know how sufficient the proof from my employer will be but approximately 40 people applied for my position, and 10 were interviewed and ultimately I was the one who was offered the position.