+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express entry App submitted....

ChelseaL

Jan 21, 2019
Hi Everyone,

My Partner and I have just submitted our Express Entry Application. It turns out we don't have quite enough points to be invited for PR (at least i don't think so. i heard the lowest they've take was 429)

My question is How can we now try and apply for the Federal Skilled workers program? Can anyone explain how it works? My partner has a lot of experience in skilled work.
On our Express Entry it says we met the requirements for this program.

Thanks everyone :)

Chelsea

prpurohit

Mar 12, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
4th June, 2018
Med's Done....
15th june
Passport Req..
27th September
Getting a better IELTS score can increase your points drastically. Have you maxed out on IELTS?

Does the primary applicant have a master's degree? Has it been evaluated as master's or a one year pg diploma? Make sure the master's is evaluated as master's by sending it to a more lenient evaluation agency like IQAS.

The dependant applicant can add points by taking IELTS and getting education evaluation done. I don't know if you've already done this.

ChelseaL

Jan 21, 2019
We've both done our IELTS and re taking wont be an option in the near future. i was actually contemplating doing my masters degree however it will take about 1.5 to 2 yrs and the application expires in a year.
Whats a Education evaluation?

prpurohit

Mar 12, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
4th June, 2018
Med's Done....
15th june
Passport Req..
27th September
Educational Credential Assessment or ECA has to be done for your bachelor's or master's if you've acquired these degrees outside of Canada.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=681&top=29

Wouldn't it be easier to retake IELTS rather than doing a master's?

Application can always be recreated. It doesn't matter if it expires. But if you spend two years on master's...you will anyway have to retake IELTS as IELTS also expires in two years.

ChelseaL

Jan 21, 2019
I will look into getting my bachelor's assessed thanks. I received an 8 on my IELTS so i don't feel it would be worth retaking for 1 point. And also the test isn't offered where I live so we would have to fly out and take the test elsewhere. My Partner got a lower score but i don't think hes willing to take it again.

My bachelors degree falls into a grey area i think. i received it from a Canadian university however i did the distance program and only physically went to the school for my last semester before graduation. that being said I'm not sire if my degree is recognized as a Canadian degree. I'm wondering if i could be eligible for more points if this was understood?

you had mentioned in your previous reply IQAS. are they a recognized evaluation agency for my immigration purposes?

prpurohit

Mar 12, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
4th June, 2018
Med's Done....
15th june
Passport Req..
27th September
I will look into getting my bachelor's assessed thanks. I received an 8 on my IELTS so i don't feel it would be worth retaking for 1 point. And also the test isn't offered where I live so we would have to fly out and take the test elsewhere. My Partner got a lower score but i don't think hes willing to take it again.

My bachelors degree falls into a grey area i think. i received it from a Canadian university however i did the distance program and only physically went to the school for my last semester before graduation. that being said I'm not sire if my degree is recognized as a Canadian degree. I'm wondering if i could be eligible for more points if this was understood?

you had mentioned in your previous reply IQAS. are they a recognized evaluation agency for my immigration purposes?

Yes, you should look into getting it assessed. There are many organisations that provide education credential assessment. Just like ielts, ECA is mandatory for primary applicant too. Here's a link where you can find the list of recognised bodies http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=681&top=29

Have you calculated your crs score online? As a secondary applicant your score seems ok. But your husband might have to be convinced to take it again. The thing is IELTS score can make or break your application....it has the potential to increase your crs points drastically.

Use the crs calculator to see what IELTS score you will need, to get a crs score of atleast 443 or more. You can put in various values for each section of IELTS and see how it affects your points.
Last year the crs cut off did not go below 440. This year it's going to be more or less the same.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

ChelseaL

Jan 21, 2019
Thanks for your help. do you know if having an assessment will increase the score at all?
I might have to convince him to retake then.

prpurohit

Mar 12, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
4th June, 2018
Med's Done....
15th june
Passport Req..
27th September
As I said, assessment is compulsory for primary applicant. As a second applicant it's a sure shot way to add points to your application.

Use the crs tool that I have shared and calculate your score with assessment and without assessment and see what difference it makes to your CRS score.