+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry and PR application with a minor criminal record?

dearshane

Jan 17, 2021
Hey all! I wanted to ask if anybody has had succes getting a PR application approved after the ITA with a minor criminal record. I was arrested around 11 years ago for an inhalant/intoxicating substance misuse offence and issued a stern warning (something like a caution) before being released (Very young and very very stupid at the time). I'm deathly afraid this might impact my PR application should I recieve an ITA- imagine the anguish! :(

I understand that inadmisibility to Canada is determined by having 2 or more summary offences or 1 or more indictable offences under foreign law. The offence I was arrested for was a minor one, maximum of 6 months jail and fine in my home country. Although I couldnt find any equal offence on the federal level, state law has a provision for it, also classified as a summary offence. For my case, I was 15 when it happened and stayed crime free ever since. I've been scouring the forum for information but most threads relate to convictions and discharges. Do you think it will impact my future application?

Any and all input is will be superrrrr appreciated.

harsimranjot

Star Member
Dec 1, 2019
LUDHIANA PUNJAB
Category........
Visa Office......
chandigarh
Hey all! I wanted to ask if anybody has had succes getting a PR application approved after the ITA with a minor criminal record. I was arrested around 11 years ago for an inhalant/intoxicating substance misuse offence and issued a stern warning (something like a caution) before being released (Very young and very very stupid at the time). I'm deathly afraid this might impact my PR application should I recieve an ITA- imagine the anguish! :(

I understand that inadmisibility to Canada is determined by having 2 or more summary offences or 1 or more indictable offences under foreign law. The offence I was arrested for was a minor one, maximum of 6 months jail and fine in my home country. Although I couldnt find any equal offence on the federal level, state law has a provision for it, also classified as a summary offence. For my case, I was 15 when it happened and stayed crime free ever since. I've been scouring the forum for information but most threads relate to convictions and discharges. Do you think it will impact my future application?

Any and all input is will be superrrrr appreciated.
This was a minor offence. You were not also convicted. In all probability, this offence will not show up on your PCC( Police Clearance Certificate). So, there will not be any problem for express entry application. Even if this shows up on PCC, I dont think it will cause a problem.

Still, if you want to eliminate all doubts, you can try applying for a PCC for some other country like UK, Australia etc. This will be a trial PCC and you will get to know if anything about that offence is mentioned in PCC.

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
there is a stat question in the application - 'were you ever arrested.....?' you should answer yes and explain the situation. only affect is your PR could take a long time > 12 months as any 'yes' to a stat question would take the application under review. and those take a long time.