+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting a Vehicle from the U.S. and Importing into Canada: Complete Step-by-Step Guide

tx-to-ca

Mar 15, 2018
I have a 2013 Corolla and it didn't require any modifications. Are you 100% sure that your wife's will need the DRL? I thought mine would too but then I realized that they are still on even when I switch my headlight stalk to "off". I naively assumed they turned off when I switched to off... but I'm not a car person. LOL
My wife's is a 2013 Prius V and there's definitely no DRL. It's annoying because apparently they had been planning to include them as a standard feature in those models but scrapped it at the last second for some reason - so late that the owners manual actually describes them in detail yet the car does not contain them lol. Anyways, there's even a designated spot in the fusebox for their wiring - the car just isn't equipped with them. I'm not too mechanically inclined either, but it's easy enough to add them from a kit. However, I want to make sure it's done to the exact standards to satisfy the RIV inspection so I'd rather pay someone to do it properly than risk getting something wrong myself.

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
@KBH I am filling out the paper work on the RIV online portal. Where it asks for the vehicle mileage, can it be the current mileage on the car or does it need to be the mileage that is on the car at the time of import?

also, what pictures did you include?

Last edited:

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
@KBH I am filling out the paper work on the RIV online portal. Where it asks for the vehicle mileage, can it be the current mileage on the car or does it need to be the mileage that is on the car at the time of import?

also, what pictures did you include?
You can do current mileage!

I didn't include any pics

Reactions: jeff198901

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Reactions: jeff198901

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
@KBH for the foreign vendor section I listed the company I used to get my ITN. Didn’t really give it to much thought. Do you know if this is correct?

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
@KBH for the foreign vendor section I listed the company I used to get my ITN. Didn’t really give it to much thought. Do you know if this is correct?
I think it is supposed to be left blank. I had put the dealership where I purchased my car. When I landed they crossed that whole section out and initialed by it.

jeff198901

Champion Member
May 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
AOR Received.
18-04-2017
I think it is supposed to be left blank. I had put the dealership where I purchased my car. When I landed they crossed that whole section out and initialed by it.
Yep. I emailed them and they said to leave it blank. It’s only for commercial use

tx-to-ca

Mar 15, 2018
Does anyone know if we can use a Release of Lien letter with a copy of the title instead of officially removing the financing company (Toyota Financial Services) from the title? Can this process be completed once we're in Canada? My wife paid off the car in full last week and will be receiving the Release of Lien shortly, but there are still a lot of steps, forms, and fees before she gets the title solely in her name. We don't want a piece of paper to keep us stuck in this Texas heat for any longer than necessary.

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Does anyone know if we can use a Release of Lien letter with a copy of the title instead of officially removing the financing company (Toyota Financial Services) from the title? Can this process be completed once we're in Canada? My wife paid off the car in full last week and will be receiving the Release of Lien shortly, but there are still a lot of steps, forms, and fees before she gets the title solely in her name. We don't want a piece of paper to keep us stuck in this Texas heat for any longer than necessary.
If you can use a letter from the lender authorizing you to export the vehicle alongside the title if you still actually have a loan, I don’t see any reason you wouldn’t be able to use that letter saying the loan is done. As long as you do actually have a title physically in your possession and the letter is on their official letterhead and everything I think it will be OK.

tx-to-ca

Mar 15, 2018
If you can use a letter from the lender authorizing you to export the vehicle alongside the title if you still actually have a loan, I don’t see any reason you wouldn’t be able to use that letter saying the loan is done. As long as you do actually have a title physically in your possession and the letter is on their official letterhead and everything I think it will be OK.
Great. Thanks. I just called the border crossing where we are exporting to verify this, and they said a Release of Lien letter will suffice. However, they said you need the ORIGINAL title - everything I've seen online (including CBP website) says a Certified Copy will work.

Everything I'm seeing on the DMV websites here concerns obtaining Certified Copies. Seems like obtaining the original is a few more fees and trips to various offices, and even then I'm not 100% sure we'd get the original (once it's altered by removing lienholder can it be considered original?). Maybe the officer I spoke to misunderstood my question?

Did anybody need to provide the original?

Added edit for clarification: We need to bring the Release of Lien letter to the DMV to apply for a Certified Copy. Then we take that copy along with the same letter to the county tax office and they will remove the lien and send us a title in the mail (I am not sure if that will be considered "Original" or "Certified Copy").

Last edited:

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Great. Thanks. I just called the border crossing where we are exporting to verify this, and they said a Release of Lien letter will suffice. However, they said you need the ORIGINAL title - everything I've seen online (including CBP website) says a Certified Copy will work.

Everything I'm seeing on the DMV websites here concerns obtaining Certified Copies. Seems like obtaining the original is a few more fees and trips to various offices, and even then I'm not 100% sure we'd get the original (once it's altered by removing lienholder can it be considered original?). Maybe the officer I spoke to misunderstood my question?

Did anybody need to provide the original?

Added edit for clarification: We need to bring the Release of Lien letter to the DMV to apply for a Certified Copy. Then we take that copy along with the same letter to the county tax office and they will remove the lien and send us a title in the mail (I am not sure if that will be considered "Original" or "Certified Copy").
Yes, we are lucky in Michigan, since we have an original Title on hands - lien or not lien. When the loan is paid off and we get a Release Letter from the lending institute ( a bank) we just attach the letter to the Title. Our SOS in Michigan told us that it is OK unless you want to spend money on new/updated Title without Lien stamp. Last month I've transferred such a Title ( with attached Letter) from my name to my spouse name and one week later got a new Title in the mail on my spouse name without Lien stamp.

tx-to-ca

Mar 15, 2018
Yes, we are lucky in Michigan, since we have an original Title on hands - lien or not lien. When the loan is paid off and we get a Release Letter from the lending institute ( a bank) we just attach the letter to the Title. Our SOS in Michigan told us that it is OK unless you want to spend money on new/updated Title without Lien stamp. Last month I've transferred such a Title ( with attached Letter) from my name to my spouse name and one week later got a new Title in the mail on my spouse name without Lien stamp.
So CBP specifically asked to see the original?

tx-to-ca

Mar 15, 2018
Sorry for blowing up this thread. All quotes below are in the order they appear from this website:

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/export-docs/motor-vehicle

"It is the responsibility of the reviewing inspector to ensure that an original certificate of title is presented as provided for in 19 CFR 192.2 (b). The certificate of title is the core requirement in the Customs export process ..." ***see bottom quote***

"Customs will determine the authenticity of the documents submitted. Once determined, Customs will mark the original documents. In most cases the original document(s) will be returned to the exporter. In those cases where the original title document was presented to and retained by Customs and cannot be found prior to the vehicle's export, the exporter's authenticated copy of the original documentation serves as evidence of compliance with the reporting requirements."

"... the owner must provide to Customs the original Certificate of Title or a Certified Copy of the Certificate of Title and two complete copies of the original Certificate of Title or the Certified Copy of the original." ***this is 19 CFR 192.2 (b)***

So, do you think the officer I spoke to just misunderstood my question? Maybe I hadn't been clear about "certified copy" vs. "copy". I can't see why the original title is different for these purposes from a certified copy issued by the state.

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Sorry for blowing up this thread. All quotes below are in the order they appear from this website:

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/export-docs/motor-vehicle

"It is the responsibility of the reviewing inspector to ensure that an original certificate of title is presented as provided for in 19 CFR 192.2 (b). The certificate of title is the core requirement in the Customs export process ..." ***see bottom quote***

"Customs will determine the authenticity of the documents submitted. Once determined, Customs will mark the original documents. In most cases the original document(s) will be returned to the exporter. In those cases where the original title document was presented to and retained by Customs and cannot be found prior to the vehicle's export, the exporter's authenticated copy of the original documentation serves as evidence of compliance with the reporting requirements."

"... the owner must provide to Customs the original Certificate of Title or a Certified Copy of the Certificate of Title and two complete copies of the original Certificate of Title or the Certified Copy of the original." ***this is 19 CFR 192.2 (b)***

So, do you think the officer I spoke to just misunderstood my question? Maybe I hadn't been clear about "certified copy" vs. "copy". I can't see why the original title is different for these purposes from a certified copy issued by the state.
I was also under the impression that a certified copy would be acceptable as some states do not provide the original till the car is paid off. I can’t say from my experience as I did have the original.